Texture and Mesh Loading Strategy

Started by
0 comments, last by circlesoft 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi all, I'm using Managed DX9 for rendering terrain. I'm loading, scavenging etc individual .X and .PNG files for each map segment based on the currently available RAM and Texture Memory on a seperate loader thread. This all works fine but my question is about managing all these files and whether its quicker at runtime to have them merged into a single big file, and use offsets and streams to load the data, or whether the single files are as efficient. I'm a little worried that the constant opening of files is detrimental to performance (even on a seperate thread to the rendering) and wondered what a general purpose strategy for this would be. Thanks Phillip
Advertisement
It may be better to post this question in the General or Game Programming forum, since it really does have much to do with DirectX.

I think it makes more sense from the developer's perspective to store the different models and textures in different files. Pounding everything into the same file would be a nightmare for content managment. Just consider what a pain it would be to change a model or texture - you'd have to rebuild the entire thing.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement