can you make OGL games in XBox?

Started by
10 comments, last by thedigga007 19 years, 5 months ago
I'm more of a DX programmer, but i was told DX is not really too cross platformed. I was told DX can only be compile for Windows and Xbox, and OGL works on both, so this leaves me with one question, can OGL work on Xbox, i'm guessing no, but i dont know.
Thanhda TieDigital Shock, Technical Director & Business Relations15-75 Bayly Street West, Suite #173Ajax, Ontario, L1S 7K7Tel: 416.875.1634http://www.digitalshock.net
Advertisement
XBox is all DX7, and to develop for it (legally) you have to get the Okay from Microsoft, get their Dev Kit, and then you can go to work.

Check the Articles section (up above)...there's a good amount on XBox dev there.
Quote:XBox is all DX7

I could have sworn Xbox was based off of DX 8, not 7, correct?
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
Yes, xbox is based on DirectX® 8 API.

[edit] more info here
Yeah--the DX API *after* the last one I could stand. :P
http://edropple.com
If you get an X-box development kit, you could then mumble to your Microsoft and NVIDIA contacts about really wanting the OpenGL API, and maybe something would be available. However, there is nothing publicly available related to OpenGL on X-box.

Also, it doesn't really matter which API you use; doing proper factoring of your objects and calling DX instead of OGL isn't that much extra work, compared to getting a full game to run (and getting it to run in 64 MB with a shared framebuffer, from a DVD drive!)

Last, the DX that's on the X-box is not exactly like DX8, because it takes advantage of the fact that everything's a shared set of memory. Also, OpenGL is significantly less able to take advantage of the special X-box architecture, so you'd probably be less efficient than if you coded to the custom DirectX API.

@Edward: strange. DX8 was the FIRST version of DX I could stand. Before that, GL was clearly superior. With DX9, they're about on par (some give, some take, each API is different).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I don't have any inside information but OGL, practically speaking, almost HAS to be available. MS is of course touting DX game development, but theres no way they're turning down killer apps simply because they use openGL.

I could be wrong, but it would be a horrible business decision for MS to make. They make their money from game sales so impeding developers is not a wise decision for the bottom line.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I can say with 100% certainty: there is no OpenGL support on the development or retail xbox console, nor are there any hardware OpenGL libraries released with the XDK to date. A software OpenGL implementation could be written, but I've never seen one.

And jakpandora is right, the XBOX DirectX is a superset of DX8.
The question would be how is id doing doom 3 on the xbox ? are they using a new DX renderer, i doubt it i'm sure M$ made a consession on their part and has allowed them to implement some form of OGL mini driver.
Eeeep, my bad. DX8 is right. Don't know what I was thinking.

But like I said, you gotta get MS's official okay or you *cannot* legally produce games for the xbox (go see the xbox dev info site), so as you might guess there's *no way* MS would allow OpenGL to touch their hardware. Just the way of it, sadly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement