Compiler questions

Started by
6 comments, last by Programmer16 19 years, 4 months ago
I've been programming with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 ProEd since I started programming, but since the new DirectX doesn't support it (I know I can get the libraries for it, but I'm having a problem with DWORD_PTR not being defined and the library doesn't fix it), so I've been looking at other compilers. My questions are: 1. Are the complaints about Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 true (the only ones I've seen are here)? 2. Will other compilers work with DirectX 9.0c and newer (like CodeWarrior 6)? 3. Is there any way to have my custom IDE use MVC++ 6's or CodeWarrior 6's compiler? If so, is there a tutorial that I can read? (I'm not planning on selling/distributing the app outside of my development team) Edit: I knew I was going to forget the url in the link. Thanks for pointing that out Arild Fines! I believe I was getting errors about DWORD_PTR when I tried using DirectInput. Thanks, Donny [Edited by - Programmer16 on November 22, 2004 4:17:20 PM]
Advertisement
DWORD_PTR is defined in basetsd.h. Its defined in the platform sdk. The direct play headers section also has a copy of it if that helps.

Just download teh newest Platform SDK and set your include paths to point to it. You also have to set up the lib paths to point to it.

The newest version of DirectX has libs for Visual Studio 6 in the additions section. Allthough the talk by MS on the DirectX mailing list is that once vs 2005 comes out expect visual studio 6 support to be droppped. Which is understandable, its really old now.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
I've been programming with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 ProEd since I started programming, but since the new DirectX doesn't support it (I know I can get the libraries for it, but I'm having a problem with DWORD_PTR not being defined and the library doesn't fix it)

Have you tried upgrading to the very latest Platform SDK?
Quote:
1. Are the complaints about Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 true (the only ones I've seen are here)?

Since your link doesn't point directly to any complaints, it's hard to rebut them. Personally, I'm very happy with VC++ and VS 2003.
Quote:
2. Will other compilers work with DirectX 9.0c and newer (like CodeWarrior 6)?

They might, if you can generate appropriate import libraries etc. You might be out of luck with D3DX though, since it's in a static library.
Quote:
3. Is there any way to have my custom IDE use MVC++ 6's or CodeWarrior 6's compiler? If so, is there a tutorial that I can read?

It's pretty simple - you invoke the command line compiler(cl.exe in VC++' case) passing the appropriate switches and the names of the files to compile. You usually provide options in your custom IDE to influence which switches to use.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
While the comments about the lack of an optimizer are correct, they are mostly moot since you can download the full optimizing command line compiler for free from Microsoft.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Awesome, since that is what I was really worried about.

I've been looking through MSDN about using the compiler, but I can't find anything. I'm moving onto google, but if anybody knows of a site that might be able to help me out (I don't really understand how it works), I'd really appreciate it.

As an alternative, does anybody know how I could add custom keywords to MSVC++ 6.0 (so that they'll be highlighted)? I pretty much just want to use CodeWarrior's custom keyword-sets with MSVC++ 6.0 (I'd still rather make my own IDE, since I have some good ideas).

Thanks!
Add custom keywords to usertype.dat in the same folder as MSDEV.EXE. Create usertype.dat yourself if it isn't already there. Then, restart the IDE, and set the color you want for "Custom Keywords" in Tools->Options.
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
I've been looking through MSDN about using the compiler, but I can't find anything. I'm moving onto google, but if anybody knows of a site that might be able to help me out (I don't really understand how it works), I'd really appreciate it.

Just typing cl /? in a command prompt where cl.exe is in the PATH should give you a list of all the available switches. The switches are documented in slightly more detail somewhere in MSDN as well, but I don't remember the location offhand.
Ok, thanks guys. I'll search through MSDN to see if I can find them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement