Sign in to follow this  
mustangsv0

programming movement in open gl with a controller i built.

mustangsv0    122
i didn't really know where to post this question. let me explain before i ask. i programmed a robotic arm in opengl. i can control the movement with a keyboard. if i press a certain button it will rotate a certain direction. if i press another button it rotates the other way. i also have built a controller with knobs (potentiometers)that sends 10 bit binary numbers to the computer via the serial port. how can i interface the opengl controller i built with the robotic program??? or if this isn't the right place to post could someone let me know where or if this post could be moved. thanks.

darookie    1441
This propblem is not OGL related. You will have to use a serial port driver for your device. Basically you poll the serial port via the port driver and evaluate the values sent by the device manually.

prh99    520
Quote:
Original post by mustangsv0
i didn't really know where to post this question. let me explain before i ask. i programmed a robotic arm in opengl. i can control the movement with a keyboard. if i press a certain button it will rotate a certain direction. if i press another button it rotates the other way.

i also have built a controller with knobs (potentiometers)that sends 10 bit binary numbers to the computer via the serial port. how can i interface the opengl controller i built with the robotic program???

or if this isn't the right place to post could someone let me know where or if this post could be moved. thanks.

You'll probably have to write your own code to read and interpret data from the serial port (unless you can find a library). This[http://www.beyondlogic.org]
might be of some use to you.