Sign in to follow this  
rpgmastery

The best way to make my game...

I'm planning on making a RPG game for some of my friends who want to make it together, but we want to make it with as much ease as possible, but also with as much origionality and professionalism as we can put into it. we each know a little bit of C .NET, and C++, but other than that, we just don't know enough. If there are tutorials or something that we can learn from, that would be great. You guys seem to know alot about programming. *pats you on the back* I'll try to get my friends on here so they can join the fun ;) (or the headaches, lol)

- Prototype it first, using something like RPG Maker. So that you can at least make sure you're all on the same page about the story progression and how things interact and so forth.

- Learn some scripting, and be prepared to do a lot of it. Also read up on data-driven design. You really really don't want to describe the rooms, monsters etc. in code, but in data that the code understands. Also appreciate that a script can be thought of as higher-level code, but it could also be thought of more like 'intelligent data'.

- Be flexible with your design.

- And be prepared to learn lots even if you don't finish the thing. :D

Also for a RPG (and pretty much any genre) you will want a Map Editor to make things easier and just lessen all the hard code. If you never made a Map Editor before, they have a tutorial on how to make a ASCII one in C ++ over at http://www.GameTutorials.com

The absolutely most important thing to remember is:

- you're writing a GAME, not an ENGINE

If there are tools that you can use, that someone else already wrote, then that's a Good Thing, because it means you don't have to write it yourself.

Tools and libraries I would look into include:

- Ogre3D or Nebula2 for graphics
- Lua or Python for scripting
- ODE for physics and collision detection