[web] web hosting (sory is this is off topic)

Started by
9 comments, last by Extrarius 19 years, 5 months ago
http://lcrhosting.com has anyone here heard of them, there offers make me wonder if they are a legit company.
there are 10 types of people in this world, those who can do bianary and those who cant.
Advertisement
No experience with them. It seems cheap, but not TOO cheap. It probably started as a guy hosting sites out of his cable connection ;-)

Here's the whois on their domain:

Registration Service Provided By: NameCheap.comContact: support@NameCheap.comVisit: http://www.namecheap.com/	Domain name: lcrhosting.comRegistrant Contact:   Free Boards   Mike Lerch (cabal01@comcast.net)   +1.2156717933   Fax: none   PO box 64   Ledyard, CT 06335   USAdministrative Contact:   Free Boards   Mike Lerch (cabal01@comcast.net)   +1.2156717933   Fax: none   PO box 64   Ledyard, CT 06335   USTechnical Contact:   Free Boards   Mike Lerch (cabal01@comcast.net)   +1.2156717933   Fax: none   PO box 64   Ledyard, CT 06335   USBilling Contact:   Free Boards   Mike Lerch (cabal01@comcast.net)   +1.2156717933   Fax: none   PO box 64   Ledyard, CT 06335   USStatus: ActiveName Servers:   ns1.lcrhosting.com   ns2.lcrhosting.com   Creation date: 05 Apr 2004 23:18:42Expiration date: 05 Apr 2005 23:18:42

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
so you think he is on the level?
there are 10 types of people in this world, those who can do bianary and those who cant.
They don't look too shabby. Prices are cheap but not impossible (see also Generic Webhost). I suggest you do a search for them at Webhosting Talk.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

You might want to check out 1Portfolio. They're even cheaper and are actually quite good ($0.99/month $7.99/year).
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
lcr still has the best deals, if these guys had 5megs of space then I would. this site is going to be a game hostine site (I will take most anyones in).
Don't worry, web hosting discussion isn't offtopic in the Web Development forum, in fact I welcome the subject. I'm keen to find a list of webhosts that people trust so that nobody here's getting suckered into a deal.

I must admit, I've never heard of them but that doesn't mean they're a bad host. There's literally thousands of small companies out there offering webhosting; the first host I ever signed up with was a small company and I must admit that they provided excellent customer support. They'd answer queries within the hour and really strove to make me happy in order to keep my business.

As Sander suggested, a search over on Webhosting Talk should show up discussions of people's experiences with them. If you do decide to go with them I suggest you try them out first. Some companies will give you a trial of their services (2 weeks to a month) in order for you to see how they handle you. With this place, you could give them a try for a month (using the 30 day money back offer) before you buy a domain name and transfer it to them. If they're poor or don't support you, you can cancel the contract and move on with no real loss. If they're good, you can continue paying them and perhaps transfer your domain (or buy one). Bear in mind that you don't even have to transfer the domain, you can just ask your domain host to change the nameservers to point at the new company - this way you still keep control of the domain name and who's hosting it.

Please let me know what you decide to do.
Funny this subject just came up...

Our website has been unavailable for the past 5 days, leaving our clients in the dark. We offer services value in the thousands, so this is pretty bad.

We had a bunch of excuses thrown at us, until we find out that the company hadn't paid for the servers they rent. The owner of the company decided to keep the $60,000 he'd earned for the past month. No word on when he's willing to pay, and until then we can't get our clients' data.

Thanks again, HostDepartment.

The lesson here: offshore companies aren't subject to the same laws, so you could easily lose everything and be owed nothing. Buy from whatever country you're in.
____________Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
That's absolutely appaling. I hope that you are able to salvage something from this and don't lose any customers :/
Yeah, that sucks. May I ask what hosting company?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement