Frames per second??

Started by
2 comments, last by Laserus 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi there, heres some background. K. So after realizing that I was building an "engine" out of a scripting language by using dark basic i decided that i had better brush up on my c++ and go for broke. At first I tried d3d, but i had a rough time getting stuff to compile and link, so like any sane person i gave up and bought a book on opengl. (Note: opengl rocks btw, everything compiles and runs great.) Here is the thing i have spent the last several weeks learning the syntax and what not, reading tutorials messing with them and generally fiddling with other peoples code. (I am getting to the point i swear). ***When using the timer to judge my FPS it never gets above 85, why?*** Ok first off, i did a little reasurch and found that my moniter was indeed running at 85 Hz, but reading posts from other i see that others get FPS of 100 and 1000, and 432 and the like. Why cant i? That is my question. i have a thunderbird 1.5 with a gig of ddr ram and a nvidia 5900 something or nother with 128 mb . I know its a little out dated, but this is insane when i do nothing but get the frame rate and print it(not drawing polys/transforming/lighting, no nothing)i still only get 85. Sorry, im a bit long winded. Las P.S I ran some of the directX demos and i get like 700 or 1000 FPS, so i have to be doing something wrong with opengl.
Advertisement
you need to disable vertical sync(vsync)
It's noy you... you can tell d3d or ogl when to render - immeadiately, or to wait until the screen refreshes...

Hi render speeds are from immeadiate presents...

I personally use D3D, so this is the extent of my knowledege that will be helpful to you...

Also.. I think D3D has more link dependencies because it is windows based and thus works with other window libraries, while GL is system independent, so it can't afford to have these dependencies =)

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help!'
wow, i stepped away for two minutes and i already got replies. you guys rock. thanks that cleared up my question. Now that im not doomed from the start i can get back to tensilating a ico-sumthing-hedron without recursion, some how (i am not asking how to do it, only stating thet i must. it is destiny).

thanks
las

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement