Sign in to follow this  
matthughson

Simplified Glancing Collisions

Hey All, I'm working on a game right now that has physics similar to that of billiards. I'm working on the glacing collision stuff right now, and I seem to remember one of my teachers mentioning a short cut for doing glancing collisions. Something along the lines of simply swaping some values between the two colliding objects...or something. I realize this is pretty vauge, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see if this clicks with someone. Here's some information about the game that may be relivent: - It's in 2D - One of the objects in the collision always starts at a standstill - Both object have the same mass - Friction and rotaion do not exists in the world - Both objects are circles Thanks a lot guys! If you do have something mathimatical to say, please keep it as simple as possible. Matt Hughson

You're going to have to implement the general case (i.e. non-glancing collisions that have a significant effect on both bodies) anyway, I presume, so when you've done this glancing collisions will just work without any special/extra code...

Quote:
Original post by Doc
Double posting is teh evil. Though I suppose this is ever so slightly a different topic.

Can't say that I remember such a trick, though.

I considered putting both in one thread but they are different questions, and I figured the post would become to bloated, and no one would know where to start when answering my qeustions.

Quote:
Original post by MrRowl
You're going to have to implement the general case (i.e. non-glancing collisions that have a significant effect on both bodies) anyway, I presume, so when you've done this glancing collisions will just work without any special/extra code...

Ok, looks like it'll be done the old fashioned way :( Thanks for the help though!

Matt Hughson