Sign in to follow this  
mvtapia

Creating a World and characters

mvtapia    112
I have a question about creating characters and a scene for a game. In a 3d game, if I want to make a character, a building or a mountain for al that matters, do I have to draw it in the program code or it has to done by another program and import after. If so, how is it done and what softwares are recommended for this task. I'm currently usind directx 9 and VB.net to start learning, just for the record.

mvtapia    112
Thanks, I'll start downloading gmax and see what happens. I supose is very complex when it comes to coding, but the actual moves for a character are made in gmax and the code runs the animation or the animation is done by the code.
Other thing I suppose when it comes to the stage, the lighting and camara moves have to be done by code, right?

Knight Chat X    123
Choose a graphics program such as Poser, Maya, or Lightwave to create a charactor.

Export that charactor to a DirectX .x file.

Import the .x file into your game as a mesh.

Manipulate and texture the mesh.

If you want pre-authored animation try storing animation frames in an array and play back each frame for every render pass using an index value to the array to change frame, and/or you can program animation directly.

An even harder way would be to create a charactor in DirectX directly from code.

For any of the above tasks VB.Net is an excellent choice, most computers few the past several years now have been capable of producing adequate results with newer .Net Languages.

You can use program like Maya, Lightwave, DirectX directly to create a scene/game level/world around your 3D charactor, again exporting as .x files or your own format.

You can use simple paint program, even MS Paint to create basic or medium textures.

If you had time, doing it in MASM would probably rock, but in doing that you might as well make your own programming language.

Laterz...

mvtapia    112
Thanks for the info...
A friend just passed me the 3ds max 7 but I cannot find a converter for it. I downloaded the extra pack from SDK library and the conv3ds.exe file is not in the zip file, weird. But it seems to be a pluggin for 3dsmax 4 and 5, which I copied to the pluggin folder of the 3dsmax but no results.
Anyway, I looked in other forums and people recommend panda but it only goes as far as 3ds max 6. If you have any suggestions on how to get a converter I would really appreciated.
As soon as I find a converter I would start trying what you just recommended.
thanks again.

mvtapia    112
I got panda, and it works for a mesh, perfectly, my question is a little diferent now, is about what you said about animation.
I did a little animation an exported to the x file, but shamefully, I'm a newby as you could have guessed, an I can't find a tutorial or a code for extracting the animation from directx 9 to VB.net,
Any reply is good.