Should Programmers Use API References at Everyday Work?

Started by
21 comments, last by Neil Purvey 19 years, 4 months ago
hmmm VC++ has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of functions nobody knows all of it... so... i don't think it's a problem to use references
We'll fight till we win, or we'll fight util we die !!!
Advertisement
You don't have to know it all by heart. You have to be aware of the existance of the functions, so that when you need to use them you'll know what to look for.

shmoove
Quote:Original post by petewood
I wish people would read the documentation more. Then I wouldn't have to answer so many questions with "What documentation are you using?"

True, that. Being able to use the documentation to solve a problem is something that I think I'm seeing less of these days. MSDN and other such resources are invaluable.
Quote:Original post by aaron_ds
Real programmers don't memorize everything. Real programmers know where and how to look up exactly what they need, even if they've never done it before.

Real Programmers don't use Pascal

THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK!!! I Havn't laughed that hard in quite awhile.

I memorize the APIs I use frequently, and simply use documentation for those I don't (often write and forget code).
The real power of knowledge isn't knowing every thing at once, but knowing what you actually need to know and where to find everything you need.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
We have an entire room dedicated to reference material here.
Luckily most APIs use reasonable names these days so one can even get away with guessing (if code-completion / IntelliSense™ pops up something then you know you've been on the right track[smile]).
paulecoyote: The real power of knowledge isn't knowing every thing at once, but knowing what you actually need to know and where to find everything you need.

As an addenda to this comment...
The real programmer knows a little of everything and knows how to mix all that knowledge in order to get a nice solution architecture. Once the basic solution is thinkered, you can consult any reference you need in order to fill in the details.

Both architecture and details are important.

Luck!
Guimo

Quote:Original post by Sheeva_
As I told before, he's not a coder but a gfx designer and says that he doesn't need any references to Photoshop and 3D max :)
Ask him to jump to Maya. Then ask him to use Deluxe Paint. Then keep asking him to use unfamiliar packages without references.

Then tell him to shut his pie hole and keep drawing pretty pictures.

God, what an unproductive discussion!
I use references all the time. I don't understand how someone could program without. But in response to the universities. I doubt they want you to memorize everything in the API. More then likely they want you to memorize the basics of C++? I know my friend is taking a C++ class and they make him memorize how to use classes, structs, and all that other fun basic stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement