Turn based combat possible in MMORPG?

Started by
24 comments, last by hplus0603 19 years, 4 months ago
Well, I dont see it as much of a problem, once a battle starts, you mark the area as battleground, using some sort of radius, and all monsters inside the area are in battle, paserbyes can't just walk into the battleground, unless they're invited into the fight, they get to watch the fight if they want, or surround the area and leave to find other monsters, monsters not in the fight are also blocked from going into the fight, so no problem, there should be an "escape" option as well.

once the fight is over a loot window pops up and allows you to take what you want and leave what you dont, after that, the battle area is released.

The problem I see with instantiating fights is that it removes the multiplayer part.
Advertisement
I'd love to see a TB combat system in an MMORPG. The thing is, what do you do if the person who is up is afk...
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Quote:Original post by CyberSlag5k
I'd love to see a TB combat system in an MMORPG. The thing is, what do you do if the person who is up is afk...

That's why an ATB system works best. You take your turn when it's time, but the battle is going on regardless.
Quote:Original post by CyberSlag5k

You set a timer for them to take action and if it times out, it is considered to be a "no action" action and then its the monster's/other player's turn.

just an idea.
One possibility not mentioned (that I saw anyways) would be to avoid 'battle grounds'/'arenas' entirely and just have the combatants stand in the area they met and using a turn based combat system to fight. If more people approach, you allow them the option of entering combat. If they so choose, they can now fight whichever of the opponents they want (or even take turns hitting everybody). Instead of the typical 'run' option, you'd probably have something like 'break combat' which would allow you back into real-time mode until you have another encounter (which could be immediately if you're surrounded).

It would be complex to implement, but it could be fun to see (standing around and watching people fight, only to enter it yourself when your champion isn't winning) and the seamlessness with the real time world would make the game more immersive.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
As already mentioned, this is very Similar to ToonTown from Disney. Battles happen right in the real world, and both monsters and other players can join the battle. Experience is gained based on the damage done by each layer (I think, its been a while). If it gets too tough you can run, but you get no experience from it.

ToonTown still has a 3 day trial period, and it is quite a bit of fun. If you are interested in how it implements battle, give it a try.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Quote:The problem I see with instantiating fights is that it removes the multiplayer part.

I'd assume that the party or parties that were within the radius of the battle got involved, just like with monsters -- that's more than a single player.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Quote:The problem I see with instantiating fights is that it removes the multiplayer part.

I'd assume that the party or parties that were within the radius of the battle got involved, just like with monsters -- that's more than a single player.

of course, but once they are removed from the world and inside the instantiated room, there is no audience or passers by that may watch or join the battle, which limits the multi player interactivity IMO.
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Quote:Original post by hplus0603

of course, but once they are removed from the world and inside the instantiated room, there is no audience or passers by that may watch or join the battle, which limits the multi player interactivity IMO.

That's exactly what the issue is - you don't want to remove the players from the larger game, the "pausing" of the outside world while the battle is carried out. However if you have the battle play out in game you start having issues with how players in the battle can see and possibly interact with players/monsters outside that battle, and vise versa. For example a simple graphical issue arises - you don't want battles to be played out inside some cramped little space, yet expanding them to encompress the entire area where all participants are would certainly lead to problems (specifically the threat of overlapping battles, or maps just being covered in battle areas)
didn't ToonTown (or that disney-mmorpg) did combat with pie-tossing in turns? Just have a flash about it somewhere in my neurons, had to google for it, but way to busy to do now.
just an idea to check how they did it. (I remember reading a larger atricle about it, probably on gamasutra as post mortem).
-----The scheduled downtime is omitted cause of technical problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement