will directX take an animated mesh with a 3DS biped in it?

Started by
4 comments, last by circlesoft 19 years, 4 months ago
i have to animate my biped in 3ds max. now if i animate it with a biped, will direct X be able to read it , or do i have to animate it using another method, like IK or something?
I currently only use c# and directX9, in case its relivant and i didnt mention it in the post
Advertisement
Simple answer, no it won't work. There aren't any exporters I know of that export biped animations correctly to .X format; you just need to rig and use FK the character normally.
Do you mean direct X or the .x file format?

Both can handle them fine(well sort of,as explained below).

I was using the .x file format for animated chatacters for a while(using the Quest3D exporter)and didn't have any problems getting it up and running in a directx app.

Now for the bad news...the .x format for animated characters is terrible,and i mean that,honestly.Its overly complicated to use properly in a real game,hence not many people do.

After you get passed(assuming you are begginer level)the stage of just displaying anim characters,you will want to do (or need)much more control for complex situations,i can tell you now you will be literally banging your head against the moniter if you go with .x format.

I could write a long list of things you will find difficult to do(my experience)and i mean when you are past the stage of wanting them to animate and walk around,though i think you get the idea:)

It would be much better to use a simpler format(or write your own).There are a couple of talented guys around these forums that is working on making this easier.I think its called DirectMesh SDK(pipo the clown,and someone else,sorry can't remember the other guts name),i think it comes with full source too.Do a search for DirectMesh sdk.

Hope that helps.

thank you for the replies. im afraid im a long way off from writing my own format, and even though i have been looking at how difficult animation id direct x is, i have no choice. it cant be too bad anyway, as all i need to do is make a man run and maby walk. thats about it.
I currently only use c# and directX9, in case its relivant and i didnt mention it in the post
no need to search the forums...there is a sticky post on it above this one (slaps head) lOL
About DirectMesh: DirectMesh v1.0 doesn't support skeletal animation, only keyframed. However, if you only need a few animations, it may be okay for you.

I am currently developing DM v2.0, which will have skeletal animation, morph targets, ect... - all the stuff that is essential in a decent character animation package. See my sig for links to the details.

The AP is correct - character animation with X files and D3DX is truly a pain. That's why I'm doing this [smile].
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement