Sign in to follow this  
WildWest

downloading ONLY DirectX 9.0c documentation

Hi everbody! I installed the DirectX9.0c Devpak for Dev-C++. Everthing works fine and no problems at all. The only thing is I need the dx9.0c sdk documentation files, but i do not want to download the whole SDK from the Microsoft site. Does anybody hav an idea, where I can doenload only the documentation? thanks in advance

Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
You can use MSDN, unless you can't access the net when you need it?

Yeah, I could, but it is so slow, even with my broadband connection (especially searching). I would like to have it on my harddrive for fast access.

Quote:
Original post by circlesoft
Don't you want any of the samples? They are really high-quality, and a lot of the code is really useful. Plus, you're on a broadband connection, so it's no big deal to download 200mb's.

I have to pay volume based, so 200mb do matter.
Maybe I will do it anyway because of the samples.

But is it really true that there is no space in the great world wide web to download just the docs?

The complete DX9 docs are 50MiB (zipped), the samples are 37MiB (zipped ) so I guess downloading the whole SDK is the best choice.
If you are still interested, I could make the archived available on my webspace for you.

Quote:
Original post by WildWest
Quote:
Original post by circlesoft
Don't you want any of the samples? They are really high-quality, and a lot of the code is really useful. Plus, you're on a broadband connection, so it's no big deal to download 200mb's.

I have to pay volume based, so 200mb do matter.
Maybe I will do it anyway because of the samples.

But is it really true that there is no space in the great world wide web to download just the docs?

Hi WildWest,
I would not recommend trying to develop DirectX programs without a complete SDK installed.

I don't know about broadband costs in Germany, but If downloading 200MB costs a significant amount (more than 3 Euros, 2 GBP, 3.75 USD ), I would be surprised.

If it would cost you significantly more than that, I would be willing to burn the SDK to CD and send it to you for 2 Euros (assuming that would cover postage from UK to Germany).

AFAIK, this would be OK legally, I have seen several Posts by MS employees in MS DirectX newsgroups suggesting companies which supply "Burning services", as long as the SDK is supplied in full and without alterations.

Let me know if you are interested.

Maybe this could be a bit of an "earner" for GameDev (a burning service) especially for people on dial up connections?

HTH,
Cambo_frog

Hey darookie and Cambo_frog!

Thanks for your help, but thinking over it, I will download the whole SDK. But there should be more people like you. :-)

...still wondering, why MS does not split up the SDK

Quote:
Original post by Cambo_frog
AFAIK, this would be OK legally, I have seen several Posts by MS employees in MS DirectX newsgroups suggesting companies which supply "Burning services", as long as the SDK is supplied in full and without alterations.

Yea, I believe this is okay, because:
(1) DirectX SDK is freeware
(2) You aren't making any money off of it

Quote:
...still wondering, why MS does not split up the SDK

Multiple reasons:
(1) A person could have components from different versions of the SDK installed (ie docs from 9.0b, samples from 9.0c )
(2) You would have to install and uninstall each component individually.
(3) The only supported compiling conditiion is to have the entire SDK installed.
(4) It requires more testing and support.

Basically, what it boils down to, is that it is a nightmare to support. Also, the DirectX team works really hard on these samples (and they are doing a good job, IMO), so they want you to have them.