non-violent teen-to-adult game concepts

Started by
24 comments, last by Madster 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:
i remember one about a biker moving trough some weird scenarios without falling

I think you mean Elasto mania, and it's a fun game and quite simple too.

You lose if your body makes contact with the ground. The physics in it are just awesome, and you can do stuff like flip around the Y axis (this is a 2D side-on game) and catch your wheels along a rail and slide along it!
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by darookie
Sound familiar. Wasn't there a similar game on some platform (a console game perhaps)?

Since I bet that someone else tought about that idea I don't doubt it :p However, do you remember the name of the game? The only ghost related game I remember it's Casper from snes...
red_sodium, my friend, you are AWESOME.

that is the game =) and im hooked on the demo again lol. A bit ugly by todays standards, but its hella fun.

And about that ghost game... i didn't play it but i remember something like it.... maybe this one called Ghost Master?
Working on a fully self-funded project
I don't really like that game. Physics are cool, but they react waayyyy too slow. I don't really mind the graphics, and level design is pretty good. But the controls are just so...clunky. It make sit less fun. (Though, that didn't stop me from playing on it for a good 30 minutes).
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}
Quote:Original post by HemoGloben
Physics are cool, but they react waayyyy too slow.

yeah, it seems that the rider+bike are too light. Still makes for fun gameplay.

Quote:Original post by onyxflame
Where do you draw the line between casual gamer & hardcore gamer though?

To me its rather easy: you show em Half-life 2 and if they go "hey that looks cool... whats it called?" then they're casual =)

Quote:Side-note on Spelunker-type games where you can't kill the bad guys: I find these really really annoying, because it still takes better reflexes than I have to avoid the bad guys sometimes. And when I get annoyed at how badly I'm sucking, I can't just shoot something to relieve the frustration. :P

true, all games should have a way to let out steam, otherwise the frustration builds and you walk away all upset and not-fun-like
So you're only a hardcore gamer if you like games where the only thing to do is kill stuff? Sounds kinda screwy to me...
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.
Quote:Original post by onyxflame
So you're only a hardcore gamer if you like games where the only thing to do is kill stuff? Sounds kinda screwy to me...

it does sound screwy. mostly because thats not what i said.

I meant recognizing.
You surely recognize Half Life when you see it, like most hardcore gamers out there. Anyway it was mostly a joke.
Quote:Original post by Coz
Hey, what about a game where you are a ghost and you have to scare people? Without being caught by paranormal investigators, ghostbusters and such.. some people might be harder to scare, or might not be scared from just seeing a ghost, so you have to find ways to scare them. Maybe there can be holy symbols and objects that prevent you from scaring your objective. You might be able to affect some type of objects in different ways, like, you can make air molecule's move faster in places that you touch, move slightly non-heavy objects like papers, make things a little more warm or a little more cold, or even manipulate people but in a really small amounts. Using those abilites you have to be able to get rid of the holy objects and scare your objectives. But beware, because everywhere you go, you leave an ectoplasm trail so you have to create false leads and confound paranormal investigators.

Ghostmaster.

What exactly is the border between violent and not violent? For example, with the dreamworld game, people would eventually get bored with disposing of minor fears, and would want to move onto bigger things. And the only bigger things would HAVE to be violent.

Basicly, trying to make a completely non-violent game will back you into a corner. Most games have at least some violence. (Name ONE that doesn't).

(By the way, in the hacking game, you are creating massive amounts of damage and perhaps bankrupting companies, which would cause many people to lose their jobs. Even though nobody really gets hurt, is that considered violent?)
Quote:To me its rather easy: you show em Half-life 2 and if they go "hey that looks cool... whats it called?" then they're casual =)

If meet someone who does that then that person does not deserves to be called a gamer O_O
Quote:Original post by Dakar
(By the way, in the hacking game, you are creating massive amounts of damage and perhaps bankrupting companies, which would cause many people to lose their jobs. Even though nobody really gets hurt, is that considered violent?)

by non violent i mean that the means to win or advance don't come exclusively trough harming other characters.

i guess since the people who lose their jobs arent characters, it would be non-violent, at least according to the definition i posted.
Some define non-violent as showing no blood, but thats sort of weak since you have this games where you shoot zombies with automatic machineguns and their heads explode in green... there's no blood so its not violent? hmmmmm.

Quote:Basicly, trying to make a completely non-violent game will back you into a corner. Most games have at least some violence. (Name ONE that doesn't).

Sokoban! Tetris! Sport games! on the adventure front i like Syberia, beautiful engrossing non-violent game.
Actually the whole thread's point is to bring those to attention, and to address this you said, aiming for non-violent backs you into a corner. This is only because we don't know enough gameplay schemes that are non-violent. I'd like to see new ones come up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement