Sign in to follow this  
MageOfWisdom

Video game writing

Hi everyone, I'm new to the boards and just really only had one simple question: I'm working on a concept for a console RPG at the moment, and have started to do some pretty in depth work on it. As of right now I have about half the script, and about 3/4 of a summarized plot. Upon completion, what's my next step in getting my video game created? Who do I talk to? What do I do? Any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to contact me on AIM or Yahoo IM at xmageofwisdomx. Or shoot me an email at str8upjuvenile@hotmail.com (yea, these are old SNs that i have not gotten around to updating yet).

merely a script and concept a game they do not make.

Get your hands on making sprites or learn programming or something that will contribute to making it. No ones going to join if you have script and concept and nothing else to contribute.

Also, your gunna need an actual game design document which explains how the game is going to be made and what it will look like in the end.

Script and plot are nice, but you need a design first of all. I'd recommend looking through our Game Design forum to see the kinds of approaches people take to design, and the kinds of elements you'll need to consider.

Secondly, you need a technical implementation plan (also called a "technical design document"), which lays out the process of turning these abstract concepts into code that will run on the target platform. Obviously, this requires someone who is capable of effecting that transformation - a programmer.

Honestly, it's very difficult to find a programmer who is willing to work for/with you on the basis of your idea alone, but it is not impossible. The best bet is usually to find someone in your locale - school tends to have the highest success rate. Alternately, you could dedicate the time to learning to program and write the game yourself.

A few caveats: programming for consoles can be challenging and involved. Programming the GBA is the most accessible; programming the PS2, Xbox, etc is a little bit of a black art unless you have access to an official development kit, which costs thousands and is only made available (for sale) to registered developers. Consequently, you might want to focus on the PC for now, unless the GBA is an acceptable platform.

Secondly, the vast majority of contemporary game programming is [still] done in C++, which is not the easiest language to learn. If you want to give programming your game yourself a go, I'd recommend giving an easier language a go. You can always transition to C++ later if you find that you enjoy programming, or you might find that it's not necessary for the level of technical complexity your game requires. My personal recommendation is Python with the PyGame toolkit.

Good luck. Making games can be challenging, so you'll need it, along with determination.

I think it's worth noting that it is possible to get something similar to a Playstation dev kit.

For the PlayStation 1, Sony produced the Yaroze. http://www.absolute-playstation.com/api_faqs/faq13.htm

For the Playstation 2, the Linux kit comes with most of the official documentation - except stuff like raw DVD access.

I get the feeling both are still black arts even with the documentation. The other problem is that any game you make with this stuff requires a Linux kit to play (I think it's mostly that you cannot sign the software appropriately).