Freetype speed

Started by
5 comments, last by _Sigma 19 years, 4 months ago
I've been hearing more and more about people using Freetype to render the text in their games. Up until now I've always just used the font texture method, but after playing DOOM3 and seeing the in-game interfaces with the super-sharp text rendering, I'm starting to wonder if they too are rendering real text as with Freetype. But I always assumed this would be very slow. Am I wrong? Has Freetype really come far enough along that it can be used to render text in realtime? Or are there tricks people are using to keep the speed up? Rendering real text sure would be nice...
Advertisement
Um.

Freetype is the basis for all text rendering on linux.

So, yes. It's fast.
Err. Well OS needs and Game needs are totally different. Windows uses GDI, but thats way too slow for games. I'm interested in hearing what the results are from people who are using it in games, what they had to do to keep it fast, and if theres any idea if this is how DOOM3 does it.
I'm currently implimenting it, but I don't have any examples on how to load fonts so...:( Until then, I'm stuck

Sigma
Warcraft3 used FreeType
Here is a tutorial on FreeType, just replace the opengl code with your directx one.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Looks good. Is there any DirectX tutorial like that? I'm not too good with quads and what not...

Cheers

Sigma

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement