Sign in to follow this  
dxdotnet1

picking problem

guys help me see i have a 3d terrain composed of tiles and my tile picking works well. my only problem is when i add a 3d model in my terrain i cant pick the model properly. well i draw all the terrain first using 3d tile then drawn all visible 3d models. See the problem is when i drawn the model lets say for example at 16,0,-128 and pick at the model it doesnt picked. but when i click on the first tile ( tile 0 located at 0,0,0) my message box says that i picked the model. whats wrong? when do i need to reset my world matrix? or do i really need to reset my world matrix when drawing someting?

Could you post your code?
A good solution for ray picking is the use of D3DXIntersect and D3DXVec3Unproject function.
With the second, you transform a screen point to the space coordinates (remember that the input coordinates should be in viewport coordinates): notes that the pWorld matrix must the trasformation matrix of the mesh.
Using D3DXVec3Unproject you obtain the first D3DXVECTOR for D3DXIntersect: with the second you will "create" a ray and if it's intersect the mesh, last function return true value.