[web] Need help with forum

Started by
5 comments, last by NewbJ 19 years, 5 months ago
I'm having a little bit of trouble with the phpbb forum system. I know this is something to post in their forums, and I have, but I figured I might as well try here too, since I suppose many of you have experience with this sort of thing. My problem is this: I have loaded the phpbb forum system on my site, and it works in every respect except that all the images associated with the template that is currently on it do not work. Just now, I can't even access the forum because of a "critical error: Could not open subSilver template config file." Does anyone have any idea what is causing either one of these? Even an explanation of why it might not be able to open the images or the config file would be helpful to me.
Advertisement
Did you install it to a first-level directory?

If I'm not mistaken, it has to go in something like:
www.blah.com/forum/

And NOT:
www.blah.com/some_section/forum/

It sounds like a pathing issue if your images and such aren't showing up.
I know phpBB practically inside out. Can you give the the URL to your forum? I'll have a look around.

What I am guessing is that you did not preserve the directory structure when unzipping the install file so all your files ended up in the same directory.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I would be most glad to! Thank you! Here's the link. It seems that the second error has resolved itself, so you can now get into the forums and use them in all ways except the images don't load. Anyway, hope you can find something! I'll probably be checking back all day, so if you need to know anything like file permissions or anything, I can tell you.

EDIT: Hmm, now I'm on a different computer and the images work. Any ideas as to why they will on one comp and not on another?

[Edited by - NewbJ on November 24, 2004 9:06:25 AM]
I see everything just fine.
Hmmm... your site won't load for me. Are you running this from your home DSL line or something? Anyway, if the images load from one computer but not from another then it has probabely something to do with your browser settings conflicting with the hotlink protection of your website. Make sure that you have whitelisted all the sites correctly in your hotlink protection and that your browser setings allow image loading (for FireFox: Tools -> Options -> Web features -> Load images (check), for originating website only (uncheck)).

[Edited by - Sander on November 25, 2004 5:12:50 PM]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Yeah, for the past about 18 hours (estimate) the host I'm using's server has been down. I can't even access their website, which is how I know that this is the case. Anyway, I have just opened the forum to the public, and once the server is running again, there should start to be registered users. I put up a poll about this to see if it's a widespread problem or only my browser settings. It's interesting to note, however, that the images display fine phpbb's own site's forum, so unless they modify their own software to work better, I think it's something localized to my copy on my browser. Interesting.

EDIT: And no, ::sigh::, sadly I use cox, so I can't even put that old but still fast laptop to use by making it a server...::sigh::...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement