Sign in to follow this  
Aprosenf

[Win32] How to do simple animation with GDI?

I'm looking for a way to do simple animation using Windows GDI in straight Win32. Basically all I want to do is play a short animation once when something happens, e.g. a button is hit or the user does something. Currently my main message loop uses GetMessage(). Would I want to do something like, if anything is currently animating, call PeekMessage(), sleep a few dozen milliseconds, and update the animation, otherwise call GetMessage()? I don't want to call PeekMessage() the whole time, since that would waste a horrendous amount of CPU time.

Or use something like that: {still using PeekMessage()}

if PeekMessage(Msg, 0, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE)
{
if (Msg.Message != WM_QUIT)
{
TranslateMessage(Msg);
DispatchMessage(Msg);
}
else
{
terminate();
}
}
else
{
IdleProc();
}

void IdleProc(void)
{
//Place code to update animation
}

This will give you smooth results and update the animation only when the CPU has nothing to do. Using timers is also a good solution to your problem but the code to be executed in a WM_TIMER message will be executed even if the CPU has something else to do. That could make your system slower to other applications running.

WM_TIMER is a good way to go but keep in mind that its a low priority message, meaning if there are other messages in the message que then the WM_TIMER will get bumped so your messages won't be delivered at exactly the same interval in which you specify.

Cheers
Chris