Where to get started?

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 19 years, 5 months ago
Where should an aspiring C++ game developer get started? Oh and I have no previous knowledge of C++. I would like to eventually make games for the Windows OS. A friend of mine told me to get this book. So I'm going to be getting that soon. What else should I look for? Also know of any GOOD free tutorials online?
-Dession
Advertisement
Welcome to GDnet.

First of all, check out the For Beginners information, and take a quick look over the For Beginners Forum FAQ for any useful information you don't already know from it.

There are plenty of excellent articles, source snippets, etc, available in the GDnet articles section, and searching the forums for old threads about topics of interest can yield excellent results.

- Jason Astle-Adams

If you don't know C++, you should probably get a book on it. It's a lot easier to learn the basics of the language before learning how to make games in that language.

I recommend "C++ For Dummies" by Stephen Randy Davis. It's very easy to understand and teaches all the basics, and many advanced topics, very well.

Then you'll need a book to take your newfound C++ knowledge and teach you how to make games with it.

I recommend "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus," by Andre Lamothe, which is an excellent beginners book for people who know C or C++, but want to learn how to make games with graphics.

-Gauvir_Mucca
Would "Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days" be a good book to buy?
-Dession
And may I recommend actually taking a class on the subject. Personally, I've found C++ [rather, the general object oriented programming process rather than the syntax] difficult to learn and understand from a book. Having an actual person to explain those concepts and provide repetative creative feedback on programs you write is very helpful in being able to effectively use the language, as opposed to just knowing it.
Quote:Original post by Dession
Would "Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days" be a good book to buy?

I havn't read it myself, but it's quite often recommended, and people seem to consider it an excellent book, so it'll probably do you just fine. If you're unsure, perhaps you could check if your local library has a copy, and give it a look over before spending money on your own copy.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement