C++

Started by
14 comments, last by Jimmy Valavanis 19 years, 4 months ago
Is there a better book out there for C++ other than Strousstrup ?
Advertisement
If you have Stroustrup then I'd also recommend

The 'Effective C++' books (or CD) and 'Effective STL' by Scott Meyers
The 'Exceptional C++' books by Herb Sutter
'The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference' and 'C++ Templates: The Complete Guide' by Josuttis.

If you're just beginning and are asking this question because Stroustrup's book is too thick for you I'd recommend:

Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo.

There are lots of book reviews on the ACCU website.

If you want just one book on C++ though, you really can't do better than Stroustrup. The horse's mouth, so to speak.
add a thew more:
The C Programming Language, Second Edition still worth having so you see the real difference between the two and the some of idioms being used.
Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales Advanced Programmer's Guide and Reference
Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied
And more!

C++ Gotchas (Dewhurst)
More Effective C++ (Meyers)
More Exceptional C++ (Sutter)
Exceptional C++ style (Sutter)
C++ Coding Standards (Sutter, Alexandrescu)
Imperfect C++ (Wilson)

The C++ Standard, Incorporating Technical Corrigendum 1
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
All of the beforementioned books are all very, very good.

I just want to mention another one. This one is especially good for the green rookie in programming and C++:

You Can Do It! : A Beginners Introduction to Computer Programming.

(the book is written by Francis Glassborow who are a member of the C++ Standard comitee; further he's also the guy who has written the majority of the reviews on ACCU).
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog

I must say that the two books I have got are excellent:

The C++ Standard Library - Josuttis
Effective C++ - Meyers

the Meyers book is excellent because it concentrates on the right ways to do things and not just the language pragmatics.
--------------------------- Demo Or Die!---------------------------
Neil, you'd probably like "C++ Gotchas". It's all about the nasty C++ quirks that'll come and bite you in the ass if you're not aware of them.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Deitel and Deitel
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Imperfect C++ (Wilson)

i saw this in the bookstore the other day, it looks really good, might be my next purchase.

Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
Deitel and Deitel

i consider there books only semi-useful to some-body who has no experience in programming, otherwise there books are just the same over & over but in different languages.
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Imperfect C++ (Wilson)

i saw this in the bookstore the other day, it looks really good, might be my next purchase.

Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
Deitel and Deitel

i consider there books only semi-useful to some-body who has no experience in programming, otherwise there books are just the same over & over but in different languages.

Fair play, I know people whom aren't very fond of it. But it covers everything you want to know and is full of snippets illustrating lessons. It's a useful reference book to have around - explaining concepts of trees, lists, etc, and as you say is useful for some one whom has little experience and is learning the ropes too.

If you are really looking for a book from scratch that teaches good OO principles, try Dave Parsons Object-oriented development in C++
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement