Sign in to follow this  
fguihen

poser charachter to 3DS max for animation and then to .x for directX

fguihen    100
ok, i asked a version of this already, but i am elabourating here a bit. i have a charachter created in poser. now im exporting it as a 3ds file and bringing it into 3DS max. i intend to lower the poly count using the mesh optimise tool, and then, im wondering if i can animate this in 3DS max, seeing as all the body parts are present and named,and then export it as an animated .x file for use in directX application? would i be better to scrap poser and just learn to create a charachter in 3DS max? the reason im using poser is i can have a charachter on screen in seconds, not like the ages it could take with 3DS max

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
You should use Poser for high-poly models, but low-poly modeling would be better to be done with 3dsmax.

You can use normal maps, which you can generate with NVIDIA Melody or ATI's NormalMapper. These programs need a high-poly and a low-poly versions of the model, from which it generates difference map as a normal map.

http://developer.nvidia.com/ -> Tools
http://www.ati.com/developer/ -> Tools

fguihen    100
im sorry , but im not sure what you mean. is this it:

i have a poser charachter ( high poly). i pass this into NVIDIA Melody along with a low poly version of the charachter. this generates a charachter in between the two. is that right? one question..where do i get the low poly mesh from if all i have is the high poly one from poser?

angrytofu    138
you sound like you are going through exactly what I did a few months ago..

too save you time forget poser.. and learn to model low model bodies in 3dsmax.. people told me that but I ignored them.. but after awhile I realized they were right

its not THAT hard top make a low poly human and the modeling skills you learn while doing it will come in handy

I thought about reduce the resolution of poser models also

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by fguihen
im sorry , but im not sure what you mean. is this it:

i have a poser charachter ( high poly). i pass this into NVIDIA Melody along with a low poly version of the charachter. this generates a charachter in between the two. is that right? one question..where do i get the low poly mesh from if all i have is the high poly one from poser?

no i think it renders the high poly model and then maps the results onto the low poly model. this will give you a low poly model that looks like it has more polys. this is how farcry etc do it these days I believe.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
It means that NVIDIA Melody operates on a high-poly model (made with poser) and a low-poly model (made with 3dsmax), making a normal map from the difference of the two models' vertex data.

In game you then render the low-poly model with the normal map as a bump map.

It may be possible that you can make a good low-poly model from the high-poly model with 3dsmax's Optimize-modifier, but I haven't tried this myself.
But in any case you can get much better results if you make the low-poly model from scratch with 3dsmax.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Yep,the above AP is right.

Its better to model the low poly version from scratch.

I have experience with reducing poser and very high poly characters(that were built mainly for film/animation stuff.. not games or game demo's)and it never really works that well.

There has always been problems with UV mapping,and with the reduced model(s) afterwards.