2d game egine

Started by
2 comments, last by Stephen R 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi, over the past few months i have been doing hardcore c++ game programing. Well making games just with C++ and SDL gets constinatley annoying. Whis this annoyance in mind, I came up with the idea to make a 2d game engine. Moreover, my question is can anybody point me in the right direction on how to start, further where to start. Furthermore, lead me in the direction of a good tutorial site on creating 2d game engines, or game engines in general.
Advertisement
It all depends on what kind of game you want to make your engine for. I wrote a couple 2d engine here in there i even wrote an engine for this game called Infection Which i am making with my friends right now using SDL and OpenGL(http://cs.nlstudio.us/mockenemies.jpg).
There isn't really a definitive resource for how to write an engine (2d or 3d) as its mostly a subjective matter.

First you should consider, what will the engine be used for? What type of games? Once you can answer that the next step is easier. If you were going to use the engine to build a game, what components would you want it to have?

Do you want it to automatically create a window? Should it be able to load and render maps? Square tiles? Isometric? Both, and the programmer selects when he creates the level? Do you want animated sprites? Partical effects? Should the engine handle mouse and keyboard input internally?

Write down a few examples of how you want to *use* the engine. How do you want to create sprite? Set their position? Load a map? From that you can start to build the actual engine.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
I'd also recommend the enginuity articles here. I found them a good starting point for learning how game engines work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement