[.net] VSA Depreciated?

Started by
4 comments, last by CpMan 19 years, 4 months ago
I've recently been researching into VSA for scripting my .NET applications. After a few hours of playing around with the VSAEngine I have come to like it a lot more than the ICodeCompiler/AppDomain method of using a .NET language for scripting. However, I've been reading lately that VSA has been depreciated in Visual Studio 2005. Can anyone confirm whether this rumour has any weight? If so, what will be the preferred method for scripting in .NET applications?
Advertisement
Yes, it's obsolete. It's not a rumor, it's a fact. I just checked.

It hasn't been depreciated, it's a full obsoletion meaning you won't be able to use it in .NET 2.0.

The only alternative that I know of is CodeDOM (ie. ICodeCompiler/AppDomain), or you roll your own scripting.

I have to agree, CodeDOM doesn't support everything that I'd like it to either.

You might still be able to use the VSA stuff with 1.1, and have it interoperate with 2.0 code perfectly fine. .NET was built with versioning in mind.

But they obsoleted it for a reason. It's time to move away from failing technologies.
I feared as much. It's always the case when I find a technology I like [rolleyes]. Thanks for the confirmation.

Edit: Yes, it was probably made obsolete for a good reason - I'm not sure of that reason myself but it's fairly obvious that I should concentrate on the ICodeCompiler/AppDomain solution again.
I would guess it's because VSA did some stuff that duplicated features in CodeDom, Appdomain, meaning that changes to specs would have to be manifested twice. I wouldn't be surprised to see a wrapper appear sometime in the framework, similar to VSA. In fact, that sounds like a fun project.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
Quote:Original post by CpMan
I wouldn't be surprised to see a wrapper appear sometime in the framework, similar to VSA. In fact, that sounds like a fun project.

If you feel like doing it, I'll buy you cookies :)
Maybe, I'm working on a .NEt lisp compiler at the moment and integrating it into VSA or a clone of VSA in the future would be nice.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement