OpenGl in Windows

Started by
14 comments, last by tentoid 19 years, 5 months ago
If you have visual studio (6.0 or .NET) then you should be fine. You will have to download a few lib files and dlls. As the other poster had suggested NeHe's OpenGL tutorial is the best way to start. For now you can use the NeHeGL.cpp base code thats available here:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=01

This page will also tell you how to setup OpenGL for windows.

Sriram
Advertisement
I use Dev-C++, and you can get the latest SDL DevPak from DevPaks.org. After that, it's pretty easy to do OpenGL stuff on any platform.

enjoy
You can go to Borland (www.borland.com) and download their Free Borland C++ Compiler 5.5.

You can go to microsoft (msdn.microsoft.com) and download their free Visual C++ Toolkit.

You can get GCC (but the standard might require the unix enviroment cygwin or something to run - not sure).

You can use Dev-C++ which seems to be popular with the free compiler gamedev crowd.

Used to hear about MinGW or some such, but now I think most people switched to Dev-C++ (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, all of this assumes you only want to program in C++ with OpenGL ... If you want to use a different langauge, there are many that support OpenGL programming ...

The Scripting langauges - Perl, Python, and Ruby all have OpenGL support (I prefer Ruby, and many people use Python).
@Xai:

Dev-C++ is just the IDE, it uses MinGW, which is one of the GCC ports for Windows. The other is the Cygwin, but that takes a bit more work (as it does it's own POSIX stuff).
Quote:Original post by tentoid
Quote:Original post by digitec devil
GNU is an open-source compiler you can use. As for a development environment (not necessary, but very helpful) you might want to ask others since I haven't tried any open-source IDEs.

GNU is the operating system, GCC (GNU Compiler Collection or GNU C Compiler) is the compiler.
actually GNU is a set of tools(GCC, ld, gas, ...) and the name of an organization(the one that makes the GNU tools), HURD is the operating system made by the GNU organization.
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
Quote:Original post by tentoid
Quote:Original post by digitec devil
GNU is an open-source compiler you can use. As for a development environment (not necessary, but very helpful) you might want to ask others since I haven't tried any open-source IDEs.

GNU is the operating system, GCC (GNU Compiler Collection or GNU C Compiler) is the compiler.
actually GNU is a set of tools(GCC, ld, gas, ...) and the name of an organization(the one that makes the GNU tools), HURD is the operating system made by the GNU organization.

HURD is the Kernel of the GNU project (like Linux). The organization's name is Freesoftware Foundation (FSF) and the operating system is GNU (GNU's Not Unix).
Ad: Ancamnia

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement