[.net] Instantiating Primitive Types

Started by
5 comments, last by Geronimo2000 19 years, 4 months ago
In .NET I have been able to use the ConstructorInfo retrieved from a System.Type via the TypeInitializer property or the GetConstructor() method to instantiate a new object in a generalized "Instantiate" function. However, I have run into a wall when some of these types are primitives and have no constructor. How could I go about instantiating a uint, for example,if all I have is a System.Type variable that happens to hold the System.UInt32 value? Do I really have to set up an annoying if/else tree and manually check for all the primitive types? Thanks for any tips you can think of.
Advertisement
Look at Convert.ChangeType, kind of scary, but it might work:

Type t = typeof(int);object boxedPrim = Convert.ChangeType(12345,t);//boxedPrim.GetType() == typeof(System.Int32);

If that does not do it, all of the numeric types have a static MaxValue and MinValue field that you could use to get an instance of the right type.
Thanks that was helpful, but unfortunately I don't believe this problem will be solved elegantly. There are things beyond primitive types like a DirectX.Vector3 struct for example, and many other types which I haven't thought of yet (which don't support the IConvertible interface) that I will have to manually check for.

I think this is a .NET problem - why can't all types (perhaps implicitly) support a constructor with no arguments? If it were up to me, it would be part of the language specification...

Thanks again.
Have you ever thought of just using the Activator and it's CreateInstane method?
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
Cool - now we're talking. Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for... I just wish I knew what they did inside that function. I wonder if they make use of internal/private .NET functionality, or if they use the System.Reflection functions to do the work...
You can use Reflector to find out (to a specific degree) what Activator does.

Regards,
Andre
Andre Loker | Personal blog on .NET
Thanks very much for the link. That's one hell of a program - I should have looked it up sooner... It showed me this if anyone is interested:

public static object CreateInstance(Type type, bool nonPublic){      object obj1;      if (type == null)      {            throw new ArgumentNullException("type");      }      try      {            RuntimeType type1 = (RuntimeType) type.UnderlyingSystemType;            obj1 = type1.CreateInstanceImpl(!nonPublic);      }      catch (InvalidCastException)      {            throw new ArgumentException(Environment.GetResourceString("Arg_MustBeType"), "type");      }      return obj1;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement