3ds max 7 converter

Started by
3 comments, last by mvtapia 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi everyone, A just got the 3ds max 7 but I cannot find a converter for it. I downloaded the extra pack from SDK library and the conv3ds.exe file is not in the zip file, weird. But it seems to be a pluggin for 3dsmax 4 and 5, which I copied to the pluggin folder of the 3dsmax but no results. Anyway, I looked in other forums and people recommend panda but it only goes as far as 3ds max 6. If you have any suggestions on how to get a converter I would really appreciated.
Marco Tapia
Advertisement
As far as I know there are no binary differences between max6 and max7 plugins. We didn't have to recompile our plugins for them to work. Panda for max6 might be good enough for you.
Thanks, I'll try and post back the results.
Marco Tapia
The panda exporter worked fine for me in 3dsmax 7 for static meshes, however, when trying to export any animations I started having problems. Significant sections were left out of the resulting file (i.e. most of the frame heirarchy, etc.), leading me to believe the add-in crashed as it was exporting.

You'll notice they've posted an ominous warning on their site regarding using max 7. link

The last I worked with their exporter, though, was the beginning of November and shortly after I was having my problems the first warning went up. It looks like they've finally got around to fixing some of the problems, which is good to see.

In the mean-time I've been using the Quest 3D exporter (link) which works fine, but I find the exporter extremely limited.

I think the best bet is to just build an exporter that does what you want and that you can update when you run into problems. The source for the exporter that ships in the directx SDK is available as a good start.

-Alias
I got panda, and it works for a mesh, perfectly, my question is a little diferent now, is about what you said about animation.
I did a little animation an exported to the x file, but shamefully, I'm a newby as you could have guessed, an I can't find a tutorial or a code for extracting the animation from directx 9 to VB.net,
Any reply is good.
Marco Tapia

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement