• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

direct input for key presses

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

it's working fine most of the time - if I keep a key down then of course I can poll and find out it's down and say move the player. However, I'm having a real anoying problem: In my game the player has a machine gun. When the 'M' key is down the machine gun should fire all the while the M key is down. What is actually happening is that it fires once and won't fire again until I release the key and press it down again. Which is really annoying - and not realistic. Any ideas ? I only have this problem with the fire bullets and not speed up/speed down/move up/down etc //this is how I check the key down if (inputSystem->KeyDown(DIK_M)) OnKeyDown(VK_NUMPAD1); //this is what I do with it case VK_NUMPAD1: //fire bullets gameWorld->player->FireBullet(); //thisis the fire bullet func CurrentTime = GetTickCount(); if ((CurrentTime - bulletTime) > (float)TIME_BETWEEN_BULLETS) { sound->FireMachineGun(); //do collisions }

Advertisement
Ok, here's my keyboard class:

class CKeyboard
{
CKeyboard(LPDIRECTINPUT8 pDI, HWND hwnd);
bool KeyDown(char key)
{return (m_keys[key] & 0x80) ? true : false;}
...etc
}

here's my input class:

class CInputSystem
{
bool KeyDown(char key) { return (m_pKeyboard && m_pKeyboard->KeyDown(key)); }

//etc...for mouse
}

Check Input Function:
=======================

//strafe right
//BELOW ALWAYS WORKS FINE
if (inputSystem->KeyDown(DIK_D))
OnKeyDown(VK_RIGHT);

//fire bullets
ONLY WORKS ONCE - THEN I HAVE TO RELEASE THE KEY AND REPRESS
if (inputSystem->KeyDown(DIK_M))
OnKeyDown(VK_NUMPAD1);

Hope this is helpful

Guest Anonymous Poster
onKeyDown?

well that event will only be called once - when you press the key and will not be called while you hold the key.

is there a OnKeyHeld event?
if so use that

if not, have a boolean "bKeyHeld" and OnKeyDown bKeyHeld = true and OnKeyUp bkeyHeld = false. Then you can use a loop to call fireBullet.

thats what i do usually for somethings.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement