Sign in to follow this  
erickmeister

Trigonometry functions

I'm trying to understand some of the trigonometry functions I need to use in the games I wish to create. Can someone correct me if i'm wrong and with an explanation. There are basically two different types of coordinate systems. Cartesian and Polar. Cartesian is finding a new x, y location by knowing the last x, y location and calulating the next. Polar finds the new x, y location by a vector length and angle. Is this right? I'm trying to understand the cos/sin functions better. cos/sin take radians as arguments, by multiplying cos/sin by a vector length you will get the new Cartesian coordinates? Is that was these functions are for? Can someone shed some light on cos/sin/tan and vectors or post a good tutorial? Thanks for reading. Erick

Guest Anonymous Poster
Go to:

http://www.pixelate.co.za/issues/5/articles/circle/sincos.htm

There you will find an article that will introduce you to some applications of the trigonometric functions. Now, there is a 2nd article in the same series which you can find on that same site that explains some of the more advanced uses of the functions. The example sourcecode uses Allegro, but the theory is of interest to game programmers in general.

P.S. I'd linkify that address, but I'm an AP.