Visual C++ Simplicity

Started by
4 comments, last by igni ferroque 19 years, 4 months ago
I was wondering how hard Visual C++ 6.0 is compared to Qbasic or any other BASIC language to learn. And also how hard is it to get into the gaming industry without a standard college degree, just a technical college degree like ITT or something. I just turned 16(yesterday) but im really wanting to get into the gaming industry thats why im planning ahead and trying to learn as much about game design and programming as possible. Thank you for your help!!!
Advertisement
I have found that gaming companies hire people based on what they can demonstrate, as opposed to certificates and degrees (but they always help).

I have gone from VB6, to VB.NET, to C#, to C++, and I must say that C++ (well, any C based language) is quite easy to write, but any language takes skill to write properly and efficiently!

Also, dont expect to start now and be working for THQ nest month! Game Developers are not just developers. To be a good game developers means to be at the very top of the food chain, it is a very demanding and unforgiving profession.

That said, I'm not trying to discourage, just dont want you to have expectations too high for now. Like some people's first post on these forums which reads something like "I want to write a MMORPG 3D engine. can someone give me some good tutorials?", winthin around 5 minutes they will be like "C++?? wtf!" ;-)

If you want to get into gaming, start now, but start small.
__________Michael Dawson"IRC is just multiplayer notepad." - Reverend
C and BASIC are both based on the same underlying, fundamental concepts of programming, and C++ has everything C has with more things added. BASIC is certainly easier to learn because it hides much of the low-level detail from you, pure C requires you to do nearly evrything yourself, C++ tries to give you the best of both worlds.

Because they give you a greater level of control, C and C++ have far more... stuff to learn than BASIC. If you already know how to program (ie, you're fairly comfortable with BASIC) then moving up to C++ will be a lot easier than starting from scratch at C++. The important thing to be aware of is that C++ has a vaaaaast range of features; all of them are useful for something, but you don't need to use all of them to create something useful (certainly you don't need to learn them all at once!). So it may look daunting, but don't worry about it :).
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
i have learned Visual Basic and PHP...i am now learning C++ on my own...it isn't to difficult cuase a lot of the code is the same tecnique such as if statements and loops however there are just diff. class identifiers obviously...it's very fun...not too difficult...recommend this site..i am working from it right now as we speak..

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html
Grim_reaper7Lamp Geekz
Should you decide to continue your education after high school:

If you're planning ahead, I can definitely recommend that you not go to ITT. I went there for 2 years, and while the degree I got was in networking, I can safely say that programming of any kind is not on their immediate agenda. After completing my AAS in Computer Network Systems, I applied for the Software Engineering Technology course of study. After going through one quarter, they called to tell me that they won't be offering the courses I need to continue in my chosen field of study.

I would recommend looking for a school that offers Game Programming degrees specifically, such as DigiPen, Full Sail, or UAT. Of course, I've never attended any of these schools, but I've heard mixed reviews about both. It's up to you to decide. Make sure that you put a good amount of time into your decision, however, since ultimately you will have to live with the decision you make. You have a couple years left, but I would also recommend getting good grades in high school, since that will broaden your selection pool more that you could believe.

In any case, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Visual C++ 6.0 is not C++. If you are going to learn C++, I suggest you do so with a compiler that understands standard C++.

Quote:And also how hard is it to get into the gaming industry without a standard college degree
It's pretty easy if you have several years of experience working on commercial games.

Otherwise you have to somehow prove that you are really familiar with computational theory, software engineering, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and vector calculus. You could *try* learning it on your own, but I don't recommend it. Some state schools offer game programming degrees, and most offer computer science. Your high school might allow you to take college classes and get dual-credit if you want a head start.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement