Sign in to follow this  
Beers

MFC or STL?

SnakeHunta    148
MFC and the STL are two completely different things, one is Microsoft Foundation Classes while the other is C++ specific and is the Standard Template Library. However, you might have meant ATL, the ActiveX Template Library. In either case, it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to use ActiveX easily or do you want a semi-good wrapper for the windows API. If you want the latter I suggest you use the WTL (Windows Template Library) as it is updated and much cleaner than MFC.

darookie    1441
Both are - for the most part - orthogonal.
The STL provides container classes, algorithms and helper functions. MFC is an outdated framework for UI application development.

Do you want to do game programming? If so, stay away from the Win32 API and all its merits. Use SDL or a similar library that takes care of window creation and other platform related stuff.

If you want to create UI apps like editors, consider using C# and Windows Forms instead. MFC is bloated and not that simple to understand for a beginner.

Goood luck,
Pat.

Beers    122
I have used MFC a bit, but bairly enough to consider I've used it :)... Im in highschool, and am goinf to scoolege for cs next year. I am just wondering what directions I should take. I am getting ok at c++, and just wanna do more.

Binomine    611
Quote:
Original post by Beers
I am wondering what is better MFC or STL for a beginner to win32 programming?
Well, assuming your simply talking about the containers in MFC, it's best to use STL.