OGL2.0 what r we wating on?

Started by
12 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 19 years, 5 months ago
so the specs have been out for a while now, are we just waiting on those that write drivers to implement it or are we waitng on other things also?
Advertisement
We're also waiting on some other things too, like full hardware support. Some things the current hardware simply can't do.
It'll be nice when it's fully supported, because maybe then Microsoft will include the full header in Windows; although I suspect we'll have to wait for Longhorn before that becomes a reality.
Basicaly, the drivers, which is no small under taking.

That said, the drivers we currently have arent too far off;
The extensions folded into the core are;
- GLSL
Got but needs bring up to 1.10 (and support for MRT) and fix some of the function calls.
- MRT
Based on the ATI extension, so shouldnt be hard for ATI to get working and I assume NV can do it as well (I think via the ATI extension)
- NPOT Textures
NV should be sorted, ATI a bit behind
- Point Sprites
Been in NV drivers for ages and now fixed in the 4.12 drivers from ATI!
- Seperate Stencil
Again, based on the ATI extension with some functionality pulled from the EXT extension.

And thats it, and apart from the GLSL spec there are cards on the market now which can do all of it.
A few other minor fixes but in the end thats all that got added.

The reason for the slowness is because driver development has a long pipe (certainly in ATIs case) and because things get done as they are needed (again, in ATI's case they moved away from new functionality to fixing Doom3 related issues).

So, forget OpenGL2.0 as some mythical magic version number, its not going to be the saviour, its a very watered down spec from what was being knocked around and while there are some nice things (GLSL1.10 and MRT for me) some things are noteably missing (PBO for example...). An extension which would be nice coming soon as well would be the framebuffer_object extension, RTT without pbuffers, hopefully we'll get that as an Xmas present or something (the spec at least).

Btw, Longhorn is only getting an update to 1.2, so at best we'll have a dll/lib/h files for that.
Basicaly, forget MS, use an extension loader like GLee todo the work instead.
balls, the above was me btw... *glares at forums* this better not be the start of it constantly loggin me out...
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
And thats it, and apart from the GLSL spec there are cards on the market now which can do all of it.

My mistake. Occasionally I do just speak directly out of my arse.
I guess the GeForce 6 cards have full hardware support now, hey?

And don't worry about me, I'm not relying too hard on Microsoft. GLFW all the way!
the GF6 cards support alot, maybe even more, of the GLSL in hardware, it doesnt support noise() for certain however.

The GFFX and R300 based cards can do everything those extensions ask for, once you get below that level then GLSL goes out of the window and i'm not sure about MRT.
ah so we could be waiting like at least a year before seeing any OGL2.0 code?
According to my extension viewer program, the 6800 series doesn't support the following 2.0 extensions:

half_float_pixel
color_clamp_control
extension_query

Everything else is good afaik. You know I can't believe they didn't do non-power of 2 textures earlier. lol, sometimes it seems as if what where seeing now is just the tip of the iceburg of photorealistic capable comsumer graphics.
[s] [/s]
I can see the fnords.
if you download the gl2.0 spec from Opengl.org you'll see that non of those extensions are part of core OpenGL anyways, only the ones I listed above
Quote:Original post by supagu
ah so we could be waiting like at least a year before seeing any OGL2.0 code?

maybe, maybe not.
tbh I'd stop worrying about a magic version number change and just carry on as we always have, using extensions as they become avaible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement