Looking for some feedback of drawing

Started by
5 comments, last by Anna 19 years, 4 months ago
I know this isn't strictly game related, but hopefully everyone will let it slide [grin] I haven’t drawn manga in ages, so I did this last night and realised how out of form I really am [smile] One of the biggest troubles I am having is doing shading. Simply, I can't. This is very noticeable on the blue shirt that looks pretty crappy. So I am hoping to get some advice on what I could improve on, any tips for shading or the line art, and basically get an idea on why this still looks pretty 'bleh' Thanks! [Edited by - boolean on November 25, 2004 12:20:10 AM]
Advertisement
Image is borked for me. (edit: read not displaying at all, unless your image happens to look like a broken link image.)
edit: Image file is corrupt for me too (firefox), but it opened in window's image preview.

If you're drawing with a pressure sensitive tablet, you should be able to vary the outline width and opacity depending on how hard you push. Sharp, thick outlines would look more like inking, soft ones like pencil - depends on your target style.

Your shading under the hat should be more desaturated. I like to turn down saturation along with value so that darker shades start to lose their color.

For the shirt, I would stand in front of a mirror and look to see how the creases and folds work. For outside shading, you know your lightsource usually comes from above. So you can base your shading on the normal of the surface: downward = darkest, upward = lightest. You'll have a shadow under his arm as well. Shading in the outdoors would also be pretty diffuse.

Usually you'd want more contrast but, since he's outside, this might not be the case here. Despite all I've said above, some of this is stylistic and it depends on what you're going for.
I have uploaded the picture to another host, and it seems to be working now. It is weird, because it worked on my computer in Opera, but not in IE. On my mates computer it worked in Firefox and IE.
It doesn't work on FF, but all you have to do is right click -> view image.
Well, I had to stop a moment and check whether or not you're shading was actual shading or just a gradient. Which means you don't have a well enough defined light source.

Pick a point for your light source (ex. the sun) and try to visualize the image in three dimensions. Look at shadowing like a computer would when rendering it: trace lines from the light source to the model. If the line hits something, anything past that point will be darker.

^ Sorry that's a really quick and poor paintover :) but you notice how it really pops out at you? Especially in manga you should define your shadows well.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Sometimes it helps if you break down the object into more basic solids, like spheres, boxes, cylinders, etc. and consider their shading and the shadows they cast. Also make sure you're consistent with your light source(s).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement