Sign in to follow this  
awol21

completely memorized?

awol21    122
just wondering, how many of you can sit down and write a program in d3d for example without looking at any references. thats what i'm learning now, so i'm just wondering if its worth memorizing all the commands.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
um, i can write doom3 without a d3d reference in 1 sitting... also with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back...

yeah yeah... next question?

mxrss    133
I really doubt this will be beneficial, you should try to make reusable components that do all the grunt work for you like classes for bitmaps, sprite, input handling and network. Then add the logic, because you should not have to refer to old code but have it modulized to use it over and over again. Isnt that the point OOP.

- Mike

Woodsman    426
Quote:
Original post by awol21
just wondering, how many of you can sit down and write a program in d3d for example without looking at any references. thats what i'm learning now, so i'm just wondering if its worth memorizing all the commands. so far i've been copying out of older programs that i wrote.
The first thing I do for something like D3D or OGL is set up a simple framework tailored to whatever I may be doing (the reason for learning the API). I can remember most of the actual rendering/related calls, though initialization and cleanup I only see when something has to be altered for a particular featureset etc.

So anyway, you're not going to learn it all. Every professional has at least one book pertaining to the technology that they are dealing with on their desk.

OuncleJulien    157
If you use d3d enough (as with anything else) you'll automatically memorize it as you go along. I tried sitting down and memorizing d3d when I first started programming in it. Didn't work out too well =p I learned d3d by using it a lot. But that's just me.

GotenRulezU    100
PFFT why use functinos for a framework. You must use classes :) Well I tried the same thing memorizing d3d. I Just dont have enough tiem to learn it right now so i'm sticking with win32 for a while. Dont have to worry about matrices rotation scaling transforms and all that yummy gummy init code :)