Are std::vectors slow compared to using pointers?

Started by
12 comments, last by VincentLascaux 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi, in my program i'm doing a fps count, and when I stick a vector inside a loop that goes 400 times I get like 15fps, but when I use a dynamic pointer array instead, i get about 180fps. btw i am also adding values into these arrays. And my loop only contains what I described above. From that it seems that vectors are quite slow. Has anyone else had this experience? As it seems to me dynamic pointer arrays are much faster. Or is this some weird problem and something is going wrong? thx
Advertisement
std::vector *copies* objects in when you insert them into the vector, which implies calling a copy constructor.

This isn't how you want to work with STL (i.e. adding things to a list in an inner loop / on every frame). It's probably not how you want to work *at all*.
There shouldn't be any difference.

First: Make sure you're using release mode. In debug there is lots of extra info.

Second: Your rating is quite low so I wonder whether you're joking.

Third: If you are comparing std::vector with a dynamic pointer array, how are you doing the inserts by hand? I doubt you've coded something by hand which is doing the same thing as std::vector which is 12x faster.

Fourth: If you are inserting in the middle of the vector you should probably use a list instead.

Fifth: If you're adding stuff to the end of the vector you should probably use std::deque.

Sixth: Show us your code.
I've also got speed loss using char [] over std::string.

My ratings low most probably as i use get involved on those political discussions in the lounge....

I don't know if its my code that is buggy or what, but its pretty straight forward, I've never really experienced such problems before.

What I'm doing is i'm looping through a 2D array(200 x 200).
I'm checking if the value of each cell equals 2 or 3, and if they do equal that i add them to the vector.

I really can't understand why it is going so slow.

heres the code:

globals...
vector<vector<int> > cell;
and it is so far all equal 0, ive initialised it somewhere else.

Point is a class that just holds x,y integers.
for(int x=0;x<(int)cell.size();x++) {	for(int y=0;y<(int)cell[x].size();y++) {		std::vector<Point> neighbours;		for(int i=0;i<8;i++) {			Point p(x,y);			neighbours.push_back(p);		}	}}

All this code is run inside the win32 message loop thing.

Right now, it freezes(running super slow) with the neighbours.push_back(p); inside that for loop 0 to 8.

And if i take it out of that for i loop, it runs reallly slowly.

Any insight?
Thanks
Quote:Original post by johnnyBravo
for(int x=0;x<(int)cell.size();x++) {	for(int y=0;y<(int)cell[x].size();y++) {		std::vector<Point> neighbours;		for(int i=0;i<8;i++) {			Point p(x,y);			neighbours.push_back(p);		}	}}

Well thats not suprising, that is some strange code,

firstly you obtaining the size repeatedly for no reason, cells's size doesn't change then just get the size once e.g.

typedef std::vector< std::vector<int> > foo_vec;for(foo_vec::size_type x = 0, m = cells.size();    x < m;    ++x) {   for(foo_vec::size_type y = 0, n = cells[x].size();       y < n;       ++y)

every time the second inner loop has ended "neighbours" is destroyed by scope so what good as is that?

Then what i also have question is that for all the 8 elements of "neighbours" you make a copy of the same Point so you don't need to write another loop e.g.

std::vector<Point> neighbours(8, Point(x, y));

another thing is you should look into is std::vector::reserve look it up here
for(int x=0;x<(int)cell.size();x++) {    for(int y=0;y<(int)cell[x].size();y++) {        std::vector<Point> neighbours;        for(int i=0;i<8;i++) {            //the size of neighbours always needs to be 8            Point p(x,y);            //if neighbours isn't big enough push_back will            //create a new internal array and copy everything            neighbours.push_back(p);        }        //you don't do anything with neighbours so it gets deleted        //I guess you're using it really but this doesn't seem efficient    }}
Use reserve

for(int x=0;x<(int)cell.size();x++) {	for(int y=0;y<(int)cell[x].size();y++) {		std::vector<Point> neighbours;                neighbours.reserve(8);		for(int i=0;i<8;i++) {			Point p(x,y);			neighbours.push_back(p);		}	}}

Can you show the code that you claim faster using dynamic pointers?
Quote:Original post by VincentLascaux
Use reserve

for(int x=0;x<(int)cell.size();x++) {	for(int y=0;y<(int)cell[x].size();y++) {		std::vector<Point> neighbours;                neighbours.reserve(8);		for(int i=0;i<8;i++) {			Point p(x,y);			neighbours.push_back(p);		}	}}

Can you show the code that you claim faster using dynamic pointers?

No you don't have to use reserve & third explicit loop in this case e.g.

typedef std::vector< std::vector<int> > foo_vec;for(foo_vec::size_type x = 0, m = cells.size();    x < m;    ++x)   for(foo_vec::size_type y = 0, n = cells[x].size();       y < n;       ++y)      std::vector<Point> neighbours(8, Point(x, y));

But again i question what use "neighbours" has when the second inner loop is finished "neighbours" is destroyed by scope.
This should be far more efficient.
int xsize = cell.size()for(int x=0;x<xsize;x++) {    int ysize = cell[x].size();    for(int y=0;y<ysize;y++) {        //create right size and with default value        std::vector<Point> neighbours(8, Point(x, y));    }}

However, I am inclined to think you haven't shown us the real code. neighbours gets destroyed so the whole loop is a waste of time. It would be quicker to do:

//
petewood: You said basically the exact same thing as i have [lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement