Sign in to follow this  
Melaskia

Using AI to rank players

Melaskia    122
Hi I am currently evaluating the possibility to add some kind of multiplayer mode to my yet unreleased game (mostly a mix between Settlers and Megalomania), and i am would like to add a rank to players playing online. The rank should reflect some elements of the in game skills of the player. While this system will not be perfect, i would like to see for example that two players with the same score have 50% chance to win. I have been considering genetic algorythm, greedy algo, and neural networks, but i end up being stopped by the same point: How can i evaluate the score obtained. Right now, i end up having some trouble to create a function that i can minimize or maximize in order to say that it is the current way to go in choosing my parameters. I know that using a lot of different parameters isn't going to be useful to establish one single score, and that people having the same score might actually be very different and one will have a big advantage due to his way of playing, but it is just more a way to give an idea. Thank you by Advance Emilie

Squirm    481
Obviously there is no single answer to the question, but there are lots of "ladders" which implement something along these lines. "Ladder Algorithm Rank" as a google search returns heaps and heaps of people saying they have one, but not saying what it is, which isn't very helpful :)

Try this:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000209/kreimeier_01.htm

Russell    118
Quote:
Original post by Melaskia
While this system will not be perfect, i would like to see for example that two players with the same score have 50% chance to win.

Sounds like the ELO rating system to me.

Melaskia    122
Well i don't know if it sounds like the ELO ranking but i think i will use a more modest system first.
Like creating rules to calculate the score based on win and lose. The idea is to create a system where I can test several ideas to see if it works.
So Objects will be made available with some properties, like number of kill, defensive move etc... data that are actually database objects. So in theory i could create new rules easily just by providing access to those objects, and some mathematical relations to calculate a number.
Like this, i could see and test which system is going to be more efficient.
If everything works like planned, i might open source it :) (GPL)