Sign in to follow this  
motta

How to implement a first person racing game?

How to implement a first person racing game? I would appreciate your thoughts on how to implement a first-person perspectuve racing game for platforms with limited computational power like cell phones supporting j2me? To be honest, I dont know where to start. I have been developing scrolling tile based games like sonic and the old river raid as a hobist for a couple of years, but I am stuck and I cannot see how I could implement the racing game without using a lot of very expensive 3d floating point calculations, which I think is too much for the cell phones we have nowadays; am I wrong? How could I model the game world and how to implement the algorithm for drawing the racing track as the player moves through the world. Does anybody know of any example, source code, tutorial on this subject. Thank you in advance

Raycasting is probably a good idea for this. It's what most really early '3d' games used, like Wolfenstein 3d and such. You might also want to see if you can find out how Super Mario Kart was rendered.