Brand loyalty in video games?

Started by
12 comments, last by Telastyn 19 years, 4 months ago
maybe not only brand-loyalty, but title-loyalty, as in:
- it doesnt matter what the game is about, it says "final fantasy soemthing" and graphics are better than the last one.

or genre-loyalty:
- it doesnt matter, some friend told em its like doom, im buying it
- its a FPS, then i want it
- starcraft? oh kinda like warcraft then? ill check
- oh! new dungeon siege!

bla blha :)
Advertisement
Brand loyalty does exist, I myself am very loyal to Nintendo. I still look for info on a game before buying it though. What's more significant for me is loyalty to a specific series, such as the Zelda series.
Most definitly. Some groups of developers just likes the same stuff that I like in games. And when they make games that they like, i'll probably like them too.

Blizzard has never failed to take hours from my life every time they release something since Warcraft1. The blizzard logo means "buy me now, no questions asked" in my book, even if it's a game i've never heard about (except for WOW, hell if i'm getting addicted to an MMORPG). I used to like ID, but they've gone gradually down the drain after quake1. Not so strange, since most of the original team is far gone. Valves stuff is always entertaining as well, and their technical breakthroughs are always nice :)
Brand Loyalty:

Absolutely. If a prequel/developer/dev house/publisher/genre releases a game I love, I will almost certainly look favorably upon the next.

Buying a different type of game by the same dev:

Well, sort of. I bought the Sims because I enjoyed the rest of Maxis' releases. And I hated the sims.

Certainly brand loyality is a bit different than it used to be. EA games used to be a dead lock for being good. Now, the company is so big that some are good and some are bad. There's simply fewer publishing houses now.

Now adays I find myself only really remembering 'famous' developers that really make games I've loved, and horrible publishing houses [read: qa teams]. I will paint a skeptical eye at anything Sierra/Vivendi or Atari tries to sell me. Ubisoft games are pretty much a no-go for me, as I've had multiple games simply not work because of their 'copy-protection'.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement