Can anybody explain to be what memset does?

Started by
11 comments, last by izhbq412 19 years, 4 months ago
I'm quite confused... Also, can it be used in classes as well?
Advertisement
First reply when using [google] was this page: memset
According to my brower that page doesnt even work. (but my ISP has been buggy lately, so it could just be me)

EDIT: Ok.. it was just my buggy ISP, it works fine.

As for memset, from what i know it basically sets information in the memory (where all your variables are stored).

Let's say you have the character array:
char test[200];
And we want to set every single character in that array to "-" all you have to do is call
memset(test, "-", 200);
That will take the variable "test", replace it with the character "-" for 200 bytes in memory.

note: Make sure it doesnt set it more than the actual size of the array.. that could cause memory leaks/failures.

Hope that helped
~zix~
---------------------------------------------------Game Programming Resources, Tutorials, and Multimedia | Free Skyboxes
Is memset faster tahn a loop (I'm guessing it is) ?
I'm pretty sure it would be because you don't have the loop overhead.
It depends entirely on the implementation of memset and the loop you're comparing it with [razz]. Though memset will have to use some form of loop to clear the memory.

memset itself just fills a certain area of memory with a single value, in C you'd use it to do things like zero out a structure. However in C++ this is not such a good idea. Classes (and structures are just classes by a different name) won't always just contain their data, zeroing out the memory occupied by a class would give you an undefined behaviour (i.e. you don't know what it's going to, most likely it'll cause a crash of some sort).
hmmm... what about polymorphic classes (with virtual functions and all)? Using memset on them would probably be bad right?
memset is a function that sets all bytes in an ammount of memory to a specified value starting at a specified position. All bytes in the specified memory should be contiguous.

The function uses an assemlbly call to do that work. It is done in a sigle pass so it will be faster than a for.

Luck!
Guimo
And yes, it can be used in clases:

class VECTOR
{ public:
float x, y, z;
}

VECTOR v;
memset(&v, sizeof(vector), 0);

//is that call right... dont remember

memset dont care where it writes... it only does the job.

Luck!
Guimo

cool

by teh way I see a lot of people using a double (0.0) for tehseonc argument.
It wouldnt' matter right? it would just take it as a 0 correct?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement