Approximately how long?

Started by
13 comments, last by JuNC 19 years, 4 months ago
I have been studying C++, using VC .NET, for almost a year now. I worked on simple console applications for the first 2 months then moved on the 3D rendering, which primarily is the reason why i want to be proficient in C++. I have managed to setup an environment that is viewed using a third person camera which has an animated walking model i created using MS3D. I was also able to apply collision detection and response using an ellipsoid - triangle routine. But the problem is i dont purely know all those stuff because i just ripped those off somebody else's work and fit it all together. How complicated is 3D / game programming really? And how long will it take for a typical guy like me who works 8 hours / 5 days a week to learn the essentials of 3D? By the way, i am using: OpenGL and MilkShape. HAPPY THANKSGIVING GUYS!
Advertisement
I've been programming for well over 20 years and I'm still learning.

Skizz
20 years? Cool. I started with VB 2 years ago, studied it for a year then accidentally discovered 3D using C++.
3D game programming can be very difficult or pretty easy. If all you want to do is make a simple 3D pong game, it won't be very difficult at all: three renderable objects (plus GUI and such), simple collision detection, and very simple AI. However, if you want to make a hardware pounding, graphics rich FPS, it will be extremely difficult and nearly impossible by yourself.

I would just keep making small 3D apps (rotating cube, simple heightmaped terrain, etc.) until you are comfortable with all the basic initialization, rendering, etc. At that point, it won't be very difficult to move on and learn other, more complicated things.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
3D game programming can be exceptionally difficult, if you have got any experience at all. I would say get alone with 2D first. if you think 2D is too simple, then try to do 2 and 1/2 D game(something like ray casting,that is what i did.) and then move on to full 3D. although at that stage, you will still get very confused,but at least it is better than starting with empty hands. Good luck anyway.
Depends on your background really, and what you want to do.
3d programming, as in just blindly copying and pasting someone elses code, is quite easy :P

However, if you really do want to learn it, expect to spend atleast a few years to get decent with it. You should have a pretty good grasp on maths as well. While you can get away with very little knowledge in that area, the more you know, the better you will be.

Finally, you will never stop learning.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Thanks for the opinions guys. About the math thing.. yeah..i am a bit rusty at it. More focus i guess. Do any of you guys know a very well commented 3D engine code that i may study? Collision detection and response caught my attention really and i was overwhelmed with the amount of math stuff that i have to study..
I am really interested to make a Counter Strike like environment with a third person camera...
Quote:Original post by k_okie
Do any of you guys know a very well commented 3D engine code that i may study?

I don't think that studying source code is a good idea until after you know a 3d api.

To learn opengl I suggest you read the red book. Availible here then you can learn about how to use opengl for game programming (I.E loading models, rendering terrain, etc..) from places such as game tutorials

Quote:
Collision detection and response caught my attention really and i was overwhelmed with the amount of math stuff that i have to study..

Yes it is suprising isn't it? I learned everything about 3d math from 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
Quote:
I am really interested to make a Counter Strike like environment with a third person camera...

It will be awhile before you can do that by writing your own code and not using tutorials.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Math is probable the most important stuff you want to know if you want to step into 3D game programming. and I am talking the advanced math here. you can probable get away with pure math for doom or wolfenstein 3D, but if you want to make a kick ass counter strike. then you will have to learn advanced math.
Generally speaking, game programming can be very compicated and difficult to learn. I'm a comnputer programmer/analyst for about 15 years, last 3 years I'm doing 3D stuff (mostly in Direct3D/DirectX) and I consider myself as a beginner in 3D game programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement