Sign in to follow this  
psychoullis

rockets anyone?

Hello there. I started a game that i have to shoot rockets. :) (how original am i!!!?) I already build a model for the rocket and depending on several forces i know where to render it first and i think it works. Questions: (1)What i am missing is how to calculate the rotation of the rocket based on the forces acting on it. (2)Where should i have the rotation of the rocket? in the middle? Thank you very much.

sadly i cant answer question 1 but as for question 2 i would do it in the front because im assuming that the propultion of the rocket comes from its back (the engine) and so that would be the first thing to turn if you were steering it but if its just getting knocked around it just depends on were it gets hit that is part of Q1

so a boil down

if your controling, front

if not see Q1 answer (in some one elses post)

I think it all depends on how you define your rocket.would you tell me a bit more detail about in what case you want the rocket to be rotate, what kind of rocket you are having?e.g. heat seeking? and how do you define it?is it just a point or a line?

the bottom line is that it is nothing but adding vectors.if you are doing a 2D game, you can probably do it by hand. or if in 3D,you will need to use dot production.

hello and thnx for the replies.

The rocket i am trying to do is the "simple one" (?) i.e. just launch it with one vector force and that's it.

As i told you i have done the physics about what the velocity and displacement will be as well as the positining. The problem is about the rotation.
To help you picture the problem I mean:
i suppose we all know the javelling in the olympics. Well after it is being thrown up, even when that thing (i dont know what it is called :) ) is coming down to earth, it does not always lands with top (nose) down. you see my point???

Thank you

Well, I'm not very advanced with phtsics and whatnot, but what thinking I have done I think I've figured out a basic idea ...

Assuming your rocket has fins on the back to keep it straight(ish):

If your rocket is being propelled from the rear it will basically go straight along the Z axis (horizontal depth). Y axis will be subject to gravity, and while the gravity is increasing the rotation of the object depends on the weight disposition :-) and of course if their are guidance fins and the thing is front heavy, it will always be fairly horizontal but just getting lower and lower ;-)

Like Plasmadog said: The rotation depends on the distribution of mass of the rocket. Though you have formulas for forces you will also need to take this into account to physically correctly calculate rotation based on those forces. Check his link.