A very important announcment. SDL 2d users have something to look forward to.

Started by
40 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 4 months ago
Some time ago, Kylotan proposed working on an enhanced 2D library. I hadn't heard anything about it in quite some time, so I decided to write my own. At this point in time, I am happy to say it is well on it's way to completion. As of right now, it can do stretch blitting, per surface alpha in combination with per pixel alpha. You can load bitmaps from a file and do a pixel replacement operation to emulate color keying. It also has a robust function for building surfaces from scratch, so you can use your own custom formats. Surfaces must still be bound to powers of 2 for ther dimmensions, though. And I can say that except for the initial surface creation, it runs extreemely fast. It shall also impliment tga file loading in the near future, as well as translation, rotation, and scaling. I will release it as soon as I am comfortable with it's stability, I have an error reporting system, and enough documentation to be considered usable.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
Nice! And when you're done, you can work on the tutorials again! Double-Yay!! Yay Yay!! [wink]

Look forward to seeing the library.
I'd be able to test to library, and I'm sure plenty of others on GameDev would as well.

I'm currently working on a little SDL puzzle game, and my game is running at 125 FPS on 2.5 Ghz P4 machines with 128 MB Nvidia Cards and 512 MB of RAM which is quite dissappointing. After profiling my code, I figured out that nearly all of the time is being used up by SDL's 2D Blitting Routines, which I hear use DirectX 5 or so (EDIT: On Windows). I'm hoping for a nice speed increase when I switch to OpenGL. I know that 125 fps in more than enough, but since its a puzzle game, I'm trying to make it so that most slower machines with an OpenGL card can run the game.
I have finished a rough documentaton of the functions.
Download Here

Download the .zip file here
------

[Edited by - PnP Bios on November 25, 2004 7:59:39 PM]
I'll be honest in that when I saw this post the first thing that entered my mind was the hope that some news had trickled out that SDL was going to be updated sometime in the near future [smile] oh well.

This looks pretty cool. I've put to much time into my own engine to adopt another, but I'd be willing to check it out, since I have a pretty slow laptop.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This early version is prety hit and miss. Right now I am suffering from LNK2005.
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
This early version is prety hit and miss. Right now I am suffering from LNK2005.

scratch that. it's working fine now :-)
First demo utilizing hxRender.
HERE
HERE

Just wondering, was the download supposed to include "hxrender.h", because the demo won't compile without it.
Quote:Original post by wyrzy
HERE

Just wondering, was the download supposed to include "hxrender.h", because the demo won't compile without it.

I posted it with the .lib file further up. it was the ------ link.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement