Free Image Loader Library?

Started by
13 comments, last by danbrown 19 years, 4 months ago
I need some sort of Image Loader Library which should be able to load jpg, bmp, png (,gif) to memory. I want to create a 3D Engine which is independent of Graphics Subsystem (Currently OpenGL and Direct3D) and for this purpose i want to load Textures to Memory in decompressed state to a BYTE* bitmapData; Structure in RGBA Format and then use the Renderer Subsystem to create a Texture from this Data in Memory. If anyone knows of a lib (or maybe a dll) able to do this please answer. Thanks for your help.
---------------------------- By CommanderXXLCommander@bloomm.de----------------------------
Advertisement
You should check out DevIL (www.imagelib.org).
It's the best (and only one) I know ;-)
nVidia has a library for that... check:
developer.nvidia.com

Luck!
Guimo
There is also FreeImage.
Corona is a nice one.
Some time ago there was an interesting discussion about that on flipcode:

http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/fcmsg.cgi?thread_show=24016

EDIT: mhh, how do I make links in my post?
SDL_image. I know it works with OpenGL. Not sure about D3D, but it will put it into simple byte array of pixel data like you want.
Quote:Original post by cozman
Corona is a nice one.

It's got my vote!
Thanks for all your help. I will look into all of them and take the one which is the simplest one to implement.
---------------------------- By CommanderXXLCommander@bloomm.de----------------------------
Quote:Original post by Kurioes
Quote:Original post by cozman
Corona is a nice one.

It's got my vote!

For those who are using it you might want to grab an update from the CVS if you only downloaded a zip file as back in May I produced a patch which allowed for JPG saving and it was folded into the CVS tree but there hasnt been a release since then.

Now I really need to get around to adding DDS support to it at some point...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement