• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Joshnathan

SDL/Win32?

This topic is 5133 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I just wanted to ask you all what the advatages/disadvatages are of programming in win32 or sdl. I finally reached a lvl which I think would be enough to start and have a peek at them :D Joshua P.S. I program in c++

Advertisement
i recommend win32...that's been good for me!...lol...then again...i have never programmed in SDL so ... yeah...that's a newb for yeah!

ps...detroit got crushed! :p

If you want to use SDL, I recommend it. There is just oen thing though. If you're using pixel based alpha, the blitting is slow. Not sure why, but they promise to fix it sooner or later. You could potentially learn OpenGL and use that with SDL for that purpose.

Win32 is, IMO, harder than SDL. It has a lot of functions etc and you should probably get a tutorial on it. SDL is one of those libs that is easy to pick up once you've read a basic tutorial and know the basics of a game loop.

SDL is better than Win32, mainly because SDL was made for games (it was built off if DirectDraw), while Win32 was made for applications. SDL is faster than Win32 and a lot less bulky and easier to learn.

The only negative thing I have to say about SDL is it's stagnation. For a library that's grown rather popular lately, not a lot of work seems to be going on with it.

That aside, it's still totally functional and has been used to create many commercial games.

oh please check out www.clanlib.org

integrated sdl support. opengl for 2d rendering when available, tons of intuitive sound/gfx/input functions., and cross platform including mac osx

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!