• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deadlydog

Some Direct X Fonts don't work

This topic is 5129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I was working on my game, and recently had to format my pc and reinstall XP. I've reinstalled all my fonts and they show up in the C:\Windows\Fonts fine, but for some reason only certain fonts work in the game. I'm using DirectX 8, but I have the DX7,8, and 9 SDK's installed. Everything worked fine before formatting, but now only certain fonts work. For example, if I use "Arial" then it just uses the DX default font, but "Amy" works. Here's a list of some that work and some that don't: Works - Atomic, Amy, Asimov, Amherst, Broadway, Carnivale, Chords, Bravo, Elephant Doesn't Work - Arial, Exocet Heavy, Brochure, Bodoni MT, Circus They are all .TTF files, but some have a "TT" on the icon, and some have an "O" on the icon when viewing them in the Fonts folder. Some of each type work, and some of each type don't. I'm not sure what's causing this. I've tried using capitals and small letters for the ones that don't work. Example: Arial, ARIAL, and arial, but none of them work. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks in advance [Edited by - deadlydog on November 25, 2004 4:58:09 PM]

Advertisement
IIRC, the fonts with the green "O" icon are Open-Type fonts. What type of font is your Arial? I'm not sure if ID3DXFont supports Open-Type, but I see no reason why it shouldn't (since you create both types with the same CreateFont Windows API call).

Also, since you have multiple SDK's installed, are you sure you are linking with the correct D3DX libary (ie the D3DX8 library, not the D3DX9 library)? You can confirm this by checking the Library directory order in Visual Studio.

Well, I do only have dx8 libs included in the workspace, and am using all dx8 .h's. Most of the Open-Type fonts don't work, but I have tried one or 2 that do. It is mostly just the TT iconed fonts that do work, but many of them don't work. Arial is an Open-Type font. Strange. I'm sure it's not any includes or anything like that, since like I said, it was working fine before I reinstalled windows. I'm going to try uninstalling the DX7 and 9 SDK's and see if that does the trick. I'll post back and let you guys know if it worked. In the mean time, any other suggestions anyone can think of would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nobody has any other ideas? Here are my includes:

// Define Direct Input Version
#define DIRECTINPUT_VERSION 0x0800

// DirectX includes
#include "d3d8.h"
#include "d3dx8.h"
#include "dmusici.h"
#include "dsound.h"
#include "dplay8.h"
#include "dpaddr.h"
#include "dinput.h"

and here are the libaries included in the workspace:
d3d8.lib d3dx8.lib d3dxof.lib dxguid.lib dinput8.lib dsound.lib winmm.lib dplay.lib wsock32.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib

Any ideas would be appreciated. Do you think maybe downloading and installing a different fonts package would help? I'm just installing one that comes with like 1000 fonts. It's the same one I had installed before, but maybe installing the same fonts from a different package might work. What do you think?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!