Lazarus

Started by
3 comments, last by Lifepower 19 years, 4 months ago
Who here is using Lazarus for game development? Right now I'm using it to learn object pascal, so I can hopefully cross-compile later down the road. I'm just curious, as I think it's an awesome tool. :)
I ask for help and you give me a book? I hate book. Book is stupid.Also known as Yellow at the Dark Basic forums.
Advertisement
If you want to discuss game development using such non-Borland tools as Lazarus or Free Pascal you should really go to DGDev(Will become PGD as in Pascal Game Development within this month of Dec!).

www.dgdev.tk

There are a growing number of users that are using such IDEs and compilers. The community overall is trying to push forward with console game development under FPC as it is a direction that many would love to go right now. Moeron that over the PGD side of things.
Since nobody posts Borland questions here anymore, why not allow non-Borland questions, if only to keep the forum rigor mortis free?

Even advertisements of other non-Borland sites and forums seem to be permitted here, so why not questions too??

As it happens I haven’t tried Lazarus, but, if discussing it here breathes fresh life into this forum, it seems to be a very, very aptly named product!!

StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.
Yes, I also posted this topic at DGdev a day before here. Just trying to spark up some interest for pascal users, especially those in my situation. I can't afford Borland as of now, so why not go for a free solution!

Anyway, Lazarus is updated fairly often, and just recently got a nice update to get rid of the console window that use to really bug some people.

What are your thoughts? "Write once compile everywhere" sounds pretty good to me. If anything, just give me Linux and Windows and I'm fine, as that's as far as I can get with Delphi/Kylix.

8)
I ask for help and you give me a book? I hate book. Book is stupid.Also known as Yellow at the Dark Basic forums.
Unfortunate as it is, Borland products are very expensive especially for those who are starting their game development business (like us), not to mention that it is not limited to buying Delphi but other software too, so the initial costs go up to the infinite.
FreePascal on the other hand, is a nice alternative for game development, but since it lacks RAD environment, it's not very suited for developing tools and such :s However, I wouldn't say that FPC is "more portable" - Delphi has Kylix equivalent and if talking about PalmOS and such - you can't just take a good windowed application and compile it for PalmOS - modifications will still be needed. And there are other RAD solutions for PalmOS which use Object Pascal and I believe are much more suitable for that platform. Delphi is RAD and has a lot of handy stuff while FPC is *free* - that makes a difficult dilemma - pay $1000 for Delphi2005 or pay a lot of time and use FPC. Oh well :s What should I do?
By the way, the only thing that I actually *enjoyed* much in FPC is small-sized output (apps / dlls).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement