• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DrEvil

Compiling linux projects

This topic is 5052 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know of a relatively easy to use program that allows me to compile linux versions of software without setting up a linux partition. Can you do this with cygwin? I've heard that you can do this with qemu or vmware as well. I'd rather not install a linux partition, I only need it for compiling linux "dlls" for a couple projects I'm working on. Thanks

Advertisement
Ok. so I downloaded QEMU, and I'm now downloading SUSE-9.1-personal-x86.tar.bz2 as instructed for use with QEMU from this link

Clicky

Hopefully this will be enough to do linux compiles.

Anyone have experience with this?

[Edited by - DrEvil on November 25, 2004 7:25:46 PM]

On your machine? Cygwin is useful for porting linux applications.

Compiling in general? ssh into a linux machine and use gcc.

Is there a specific program you would like to build?

.. this is an incredibly broad question.

Options:

1 - SSH into a linux box and compile
2 - use cygWin (may or may not work most of the time)
3 - setup vmware and install linux on a virtual drive (doesn't require you to partition)

I'd also like to point out that linux does not have DLLs. DLLs are windows dynamically linked libraries - do you mean .so's, linux shared libraries?

and if you have the source to a q3 mod, it should compile to qvm's completely independent of what platform it's being compiled on, using the standard q3 qvm linking stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!