• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sirival

Any Sense in this?

This topic is 5042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So it's 4 a.m. here in Greece. As usual I wander aimlessly on the Internet, reading articles about game programming, how to "break into the industry" of game development etc. I can program fairly good in C++. I have made one or two kinda simple games in OpenGL, I studied a little bit of Direct3d, a little bit of Collision Detection, a little bit of Physics and so on. I'm curently in a University studing computer science for three years now. Since my fellow classmates usually come to ask me about programming issues on various projects, I'm guessing that I am amongst the "skilled" in my class. So why am I writing this? My dream is to create games that people will play. I love coding. But I live in Greece. If I don't want to take big risks regarding my "future", I should go somewhere abroad for a MSc's degree in something like software engineering. In order to take a job as a game programmer in a software house I should probably have some experience working elsewhere for some years. Also I must obviously leave my country and live somewhere else like the States or the UK... In addition game development companies hire people that are usually MONSTERS OF CODE. People that have been programming since 10 years old. When I was 10 years old here in Greece all I learnt about computers in school was that they are in a grey case. Nobody told me anything about programming. Internet? Don't make me laugh! All I had when I was like 13 was a book about qbasic. A bad book! Is it just me or am I most likely doomed to fail make my dream come true?

Advertisement
Just get on and start writing some games. Book knowledge is all very well (and essential), but until you've written some actual, complex games what have you to show for it?

I don't know of any offhand, but there must be some game studios in Greece. You probably will do better moving to America, but even then it's going to be taking a risk (unless as you say you're going over there for education as well as looking for a job).

From my experience I'd put things in this order of priority:

i) Education - without this you *will* have to be a CODE MONSTER!
The better and further you go, the better you look to any potential employer.

ii) Work experience - get internships or anything you possibly can

iii) Own projects - build some real, full, working games or tools for games. Don't just dabble.

Hi Sirival,

You may want to check the web to find information about game developers in greece. There must be at least one - and there may be more than one. Of course, Valve, Pandemic, Jowood and a lot of great studios are far from you home, but it does not mean that there is no game studios in greece (or other computer graphic companies : check VDimension).

Another solution is to create a team, work on a project, and demo this project to publishers. One thing that may work is to find ideas for mobile-based games.

Game development do not mean "creating a worldwide game which will be turned into a multi-million dollar movie with Angelina Jolie". It means game development.

Yours,

Thanks for answering guys! I'll try to find something in Greece but I surely believe that knowledge comes from experience while working with the "players", the experienced programmers - developers. It's a little hard to find such people here in Greece, but life is about risks and I'm willing to try things. I'll be back with my super 3d game soon! Thx to all of you!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!