• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SSVicious

Creating Hax

This topic is 5135 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I am sure that most of you are familiar with the fact that Counter-Strike is the biggest hacked game out there. My question is: How do these people create these hacks? What language do they use? I know that we all hate cheaters and such, but really, how DO they work? BTW: I know C++, Java, and Basic, if that is of any use. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement
I believe the common way is to hook up a fake client/game DLL from Half-Life, which in turn interfaces between the true client/game DLL and the Half-Life EXE. The fake DLL's functions are mirrors of the true DLL; thus they are called like the true DLL's would. After the fake DLL as finished any operations on the incoming information, it can send it to the real DLL, and receive the real DLL's return values. It can then also process these return values if needed, and after that it send back either the unmodified data from the real DLL or some modified (hacked) data.

A "safe" way of seeing how this work is to check out some open-source bots for CS or other HL mods. They use the same method to allow users to still enter regular games (where the bot DLL does nothing except to interface calls between real DLL and EXE), and when hosting games they run the bot code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!