• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Etnu

Thinking about turning my engine into an open source project.

This topic is 5049 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I haven't really had the time to develop this one lately, and I had been planning on ultimately releasing it as a training tool (it's very well documented and covers all the basic things that you need for an engine). There are several things missing, though: 1.) Fleshing out of the GUI system. Right now there are basic items like text boxes that you can bind to variables and a primitive scripting system. The input system is extremely well laid out, though it needs a proper GUI interface for configuring it. Ultimately, I'd like to bind the whole thing to a real scripting language, but I never had the time to roll my own. (see #5) 2.) Better optimization of CSG operations. The math is accurate, but unfortunately it's also pretty damn slow, and i'm positive there are faster algorithms that I could be using. 3.) An editor for the built in material system. The material system is extremely well fleshed out, though it could use a few additions (making it easier to pass variables to shaders, for one). 4.) An option to import models from external editors (max and such). 5.) A real scripting system. I was originally going to use C# (through a C++/CLI layer), but C++/CLI still isn't quite up to what I was expecting it to be (though I suspect it will be when the final rolls out). I haven't touched the code in about a month or two. I got frustrated with the CSG optimizations and just kind of took a break from it. I'll probably come back to it eventually (once I finish my current project, which is actually something I plan on marketing and not really game-related), but for now I'm putting it on a back burner. In a week or two, I expect to have a new website up (as soon as my host gets php5 setup for me), so if anyone's interested, just go and sign up for the forums there then (don't do it now, the entire site is down :-p), or shoot me an email.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Etnu
I haven't really had the time to develop this one lately, and I had been planning on ultimately releasing it as a training tool (it's very well documented and covers all the basic things that you need for an engine).

There are several things missing, though:

...snipped...

I'd say, put the project up on source forge - that way, if people do want to go ahead and fix the missing pieces, people can join and get a group effort going...

just a thought...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!